7mm Rem Mag 168 Berger Remington 700 Long Range

txhoghunter73

I'm planning to start my load development this weekend in my brand new rem 700 long range 7mag. I plan to run the 168 Berger VLD Hunting over H1000 in Hornady cases with a CCI Magnum Large Rifle Primer. COAL is 2.986 using the Hornady Comarator. The Berger data looks VERY conservative. I plan the work up in .5 grain increments. What do y'all think? I will of course watch closely for pressure as I work up. I can't figure out how HSM is advertising 3076, but Berger doesn't list a charge hot enough for that. This is why I think the book is a tad conservative.

69.0x3
69.5x3
70.0x3
70.5x3
71.0x3
71.5x3
72.0x3
72.5x3

i would adjust the trigger if you have not already. how far off the lands is that oal? maximum for a 162 in the hogdon manual is 70.0. I have a sendero 7mm , 168s are around 2928fps.

I use 69.5g H1000 and the 168CH for 2940fps out of a 23" M700.

I think you are starting fairly close to max.

Re: 7mm Rem Mag 168 Berger Remington 700 Long Rang

73, loaded 168 Berger with H1000 for my in-law's 700. Shot under 1/2 MOA @ 200 yds with 68 gr. Tried to go up but accuracy went south. This bullet/powder combo with various charge weights has shot very well in many 7mm Rem rifles of friends' and relatives. Not uncommon to see embellished velocities published. Per the Berger manual 69 gr is @ 100% fill ratio. No two rifles will perform alike with the same load. Good luck

I have some Lyman load data using 4831sc, we got pretty impressive performance using 162 gr SST in a Ruger m77 and remington 700 7mm mags, and I'm going to be working up a long range load in a browning A-Bolt of my friends with the 168 bergers....if you want the data let me know and I'll send it in a p.m., but our final accuracy load in both rifles were north of 3100 with the 162 SST.

A lot of guys have also used Retumbo and the 168 Berger with great success. Most settle in on a good load somewhere between 70.5-73.0 grains. Usually around 0-0.030 jump or so.

H1000 should get you where you want to go but if it doesn't for some reason I would give Retumbo a try.

I had a buddy that was shooting the HSM 7 mag 168 Berger load and it shot quite well for him. He wanted to start loading and try to duplicate the HSM load. We pulled a bullet and weighed the charge on one of the HSM loads. It weighed 71.2 grains which is the max load listed in the Berger manual for Retumbo. No other powder in Berger's manual shows a max charge that high other than Retumbo. The powder also looked like Retumbo. I have no idea if HSM has access to other powders that this may have been but it sure points to them using Retumbo.

Thanks a lot guys. I loaded some to test Sunday morning. Hoping my buddy will show so I can use his chrono. If these don't work I'll try again with retumbo. I sighted it in today, put three shots through the same hole at 75 yards and shot just over a 1/2 inch group at 100. 139 Hornady American Whitetail.

I use IMR 7828ssc out of my Savage LRH in 7mm with 168 VLD's in a 24" barrel. Was getting 3015fps with 65.5 gr but backed off to 65.0gr do to pressure concerns in hot weather. Now getting 2950fps with 65.0gr. .025" off of the lands

Good luck

Try smaller increments from 70.0 to 71.0 grains. Your load should come in somewhere in there. I've loaded a bunch of these that came it at 70.7 with a 168 VLD either at .020 off or .070 off the lands with a CCI250. Velocity should be around 3025 fps.

The old guy shoots 70.7 h1000 for 3055 out of his 26" brux. I run the 180 with either 69.7 h1000 for 2988 or 71.0 Retumbo for 3063fps. Mine are .003 off the lands. Loads will both consistently shoot .5moa or better depending on who is loading the ammo and running the gun!

These speeds were verified 2 28 16 with a Magneto Speed so take it for what it is worth.

txhoghunter73,
Our load data is conservative due to the length of our bullets. I would suggest that the first thing you do is to read Erics article "VLDs, making them shoot"This can be found in "TECH TALK" in the drop down under the INFORMATION TAB on our home page. Once you have found your seating depth accuracy node then work your load back up in .5 grain increments until you get to 2 grains below Maximum then drop to .1-.2 grain increments. All the while you will be checking for pressure signs and your accuracy. The rifle will tell you what it likes on the target. No two rifles ever seem to be the same. Dont try to duplicate the HSM load ! It may be a combination of a couple powders (duplex load) and they have the test equipment to figure pressures ! If you have any more questions please contact us at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.