7mm Rem Mag Berger VLD 168 velocity problems

After working tirelessly to get good data I found out today my powder mesuring scale is NOT accurate! And my chonograph is very picky with light.
Frustrated! Can anyone tell me how magpro has worked for them? I have found a load that makes 2.5" groups consistently at 400 yrds when I use my beam scale to verify powder charge off of the digital scale then reweigh on the digital scale until everybody agrees.
As hard as I tried to be accurate it looks like 2990fps with 66gr magpro and 180 hybrids. Chonograph says 3010 with 66.3gr magpro.
Chonograph showed slower speeds with H1000. And best group was 4.5" at 400yrds.
Gonna go out and order some better tools tomorrow. This is frustrating!
Do these seem right to anyone? Or should I just throw all the data I have made and start over?

Don't drive yourself crazy over the chrony or the scale. I use the same old fashioned three poise balance beam scale that came with my RCBS starter kit, after having tried a couple different digital wonder-scales. Why? The electronic scales each "drifted" off zero after anywhere from 7 to 20 charges, and I don't mean by a tenth-grain or two, but by two to four whole grains. Having to recalibrate in the middle of a batch of charges was, as you have found, frustrating. Using the same test weights to calibrate the digitals and check the balance beam, the balance beam was never off, the digitals always wandered- so I got rid of them. I use my powder measure to throw a charge about a third of a grain under the desired weight, then trickle up on the scale to finish. Takes an average of 25 seconds from funnel to funnel. Now, about the chronograph: when we consider what we are trying to measure with a chrony, and how we are doing it, it is amazing that we get useful data. "Seeing" the shadow of the bullet pass over two sensors (or three depending upon your brand) spaced a certain distance apart and then doing an elapsed time calculation to obtain velocity- pretty amazing. Any chronograph that we can afford as typical sportsmen is going to have some error factor, maybe as much as 3 to 5%. Good enough to determine short range trajectory, but for LRH fans, we must do trajectory validation as our final step. Use the velocity average from your chronograph as a start, then shoot short, mid- and long-distance targets in one session and run the actual drops back through your ballistic program to correct your velocity (unless the BC figures are in doubt, in which case you can modify that variable instead of velocity, but don't try to mess with both variables at once) and produce a new "validated" drop table that matches your observed performance. The ballistic calculator on this site has a validation feature that works very well, if you haven't checked it out, take look. I don't know if Magnetospeed is more or less accurate, but it does look to be much easier to set up and use. I would still do the validation process before going on a hunt, no matter which gadget I had.

I know it's old but, .
26" 7mag- 168vld
Winchester brass
Federal gm215m's
Imr7828-regular cut.

I tested 61.5 grains and got around about 2600. Berger book uses 7828ssc with max of 65. My lyman book lists a different 168bthp WITH IMR7828 REG cut max 69 grain.

Question is. My next charge test should be?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.