Remington 700 build

timmymic

Saw that McGowen sells remage muzzleloader barrels and it got me thinking. I have a short action from a 308 spare, wondering if I can use that with the 45 Acp primers from Remington with the McGowen barrel. I read the 45 acp and 308 have the same bolt face but wasn't sure if there was any other bolt changes to do this?

Saw that McGowen sells remage muzzleloader barrels and it got me thinking. I have a short action from a 308 spare, wondering if I can use that with the 45 Acp primers from Remington with the McGowen barrel. I read the 45 acp and 308 have the same bolt face but wasn't sure if there was any other bolt changes to do this?

I would say your best information will come from Doug's or Hank's web pages. Its all about smokeless and barrels. If you're a FB member, there's a smokeless (search it) site and those guys know too.

I'm converting a R700 s/a (.308 bf) right now to a custom muzzleloader. Check out Arrowhead Sporting Goods......they have a Brux remag barrel plus the breach plug w/ titanium bushing package to provide for a 100% seal and use with large rifle primers. This will create one amazing ML.

I'm converting a R700 s/a (.308 bf) right now to a custom muzzleloader. Check out Arrowhead Sporting Goods......they have a Brux remag barrel plus the breach plug w/ titanium bushing package to provide for a 100% seal and use with large rifle primers. This will create one amazing ML.

That is awesome!!!

Their site says "
  • Prefit barrels are not available for 700 Centerfire actions (head space needs to be set precisely)"
Is that saying you have to use their priming system instead of a case or what does that mean?

That is awesome!!!

Their site says "
  • Prefit barrels are not available for 700 Centerfire actions (head space needs to be set precisely)"
Is that saying you have to use their priming system instead of a case or what does that mean?

I'll chime in...... To my recollection, none of the custom smokeless builders use a case, but almost all use a module type system.

I'll chime in...... To my recollection, none of the custom smokeless builders use a case, but almost all use a module type system.

Assuming the headspacing is pretty easy then? Add the new primer system into the bolt and spin the barrel in until contact then tighten the barrel nut?

Assuming the headspacing is pretty easy then? Add the new primer system into the bolt and spin the barrel in until contact then tighten the barrel nut?
Honestly you'll need one of the SML guys to answer it accurately. Head spacing is everything. I ...... MAY ...... one day convert, but only to shoot BH209. I'd rather go without the barrel nut. Just my preference. Lots of good builders out there doing the work and all quality work. If......... I have one converted, no disrespect to any builders, but I'll most likely have it done by Jeff Hankins.

Remington doesn't typically use a barrel nut so headspacing will be a little more difficult.
Your best bet will be to contact either of the two above mentioned suppliers and get pricing/info for DYI or have it done by them and compare. They do provide everything necessary for a complete efficient smokeless build.

Jeff is great but it's a 6-9 month wait for just a barreled action at a cost of $1400 if he supplies the action, or approx $1000 if you supply the action. Arrowhead and Hankins both have virtually the same breach plug system, and both use Brux or Pac nor barrels. Both are top notch. I am having my gunsmith spin the barrel, blueprint my action, add a break, and nitride coat all metal. It will sit in a new carbon fiber m50 stock that weighs on 28 ounces. I will be shooting mine sabotless with BH209 and am expecting 2400 ft/sec velocity and .75 MOA accuracy out to 500 yards w/ 310 gr bullets. Expecting a lot, but all should be doable. Western deer And elk will not like this rifle.

I've never done a Remington but that's how I headspaced the few Savages I've done

.............. It will sit in a new carbon fiber m50 stock that weighs on 28 ounces............

Been contemplating a new stock myself. I've looked over all the quality stocks, but the one thing that just sticks out more than anything to my liking, is the vertical grip stocks. I've looked at the Stocky STS, but I want it for a single shot action. For some reason, I keep going back to the McMillan A5 - 40X, which can be as light as 2.5#.
Its always something........ so says the CFO.

My next Hankins build will be sitting in a Stocky's Long Range V2 Carbon Fiber

Looking good! I debated on V2 vs the M50 and went m50 for my ML since it will be a 500yrd and under hunting rig. If a long range rifle, I would have went with V2.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.