Remington 700 BDL

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by 7ultra, Apr 28, 2004.

1. 7ultra

7ultra Well-Known Member

Ok, one of the rifles that I can currently get with a nice discount is a Rem 700 BDL chambered in a 300 Ultra Mag. The caliber suits me just fine, but I have a question on the rifle. I do not like to use the open sights that come mounted from the factory, and am going to take them off pronto. Ill take them off not only for looks, but because I dont want them to possibly interfere with the scope. What should I do once the sights are off. More importantly, what do I do with the screws. Should I lock-tight them to the barrel(I can never forsee puting the irons back on)or just screw them in? Will all this movement/adjustment effect the accuracy? Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.
    7ultra

2. DwRuger

DwRuger Active Member

what I do is get a tic tac container and put the factory screws in and label it, first off most of the places I buy my guns have a screw collection where they have worked on or mounted scopes and they have ones just long enoungh to bottom out and still be flush with the top of the barrel. I dont put lock tight on them just so if I decide to get rid of the gun and want to keep the scope I dont worry about having trouble getting the screws out. Good luck on your choice

3. dwm

dwm Well-Known Member

If you get the BDL Stainless Steel version there are no open sights to worry about. Less chance of it rusting also.

That's what I have been getting lately.

Doug

4. doubleD

doubleD Active Member

Take the filler screws from the scope mount holes and put them in the holes from the sights. They will go in flush. From a short distance, you can't tell they are in there.

5. Coyote Hunter

Coyote Hunter Well-Known Member

I agree with doubleD on the screws. I just use epoxy to set them in place, never had any come out yet.

6. trader388

trader388 Well-Known Member

how much can you get the ultra for?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

i have got the same problem with my 7mm mag,after removing the screw,i blancked the holes with epoxy/metallic powder compound.since i known i will never use it again nether sell the gun.the final result looks good since you can see nothing at all.also prevent your barrel holes from corrosion