Remington 700 .270 Accuracy Question

One more comment, NOT ALL BORE CLEANERS can be left in the bore for long periods of time like Hoppes9. Be careful if soaking bore with a bore cleaner that just might wreck it if left in for any period of time. Copper cleaners typically have very short time span in bore due to their chemical compositions.
I forgot that Muddyboots!
Anything with ammonia should not be left in the bore very long.Maybe more as my memory is not great.Possibly some others so read labels and make sure it's ok to leave overnight.

Buy a bore guide and a 44 inch one piece coated 6 mm dia cleaning rod ,then buy 6 ,30 caliber brass brushs, the biggest bottle of Hoppies #9 and one bottle of Barnes cr/10 , buy some plugs for your barrel or make them out of cork then plug your barrel and soak it for one week, then brush that barrel plenty. The bore guide goes in where the bolt was ,and remember take your action out of your stock for all cleaning ,read up on using JB bore paste it works great also ,Cheers and good luck 🥳🍀😆

If it was put away dirty (many older finds do), carbon over time will pit the barrel. Really can't tell without getting it scoped.

Try a little JB bore polish. 100 strokes of that with a few patches gives a little bit of extra juice to the solvents. It will at least help get it back to bare steel.

Once clean, I would imagine it will need a few good foulers to get it settled.

The fired brass had dirtier than usual necks after firing I'd say.
Get a cheap borescope off Amazon and check the throat for a carbon ring.
If the carbon ring is excessive have a smith re-ream the chamber. Have him polish the bore while hes at it and it should be back to normal.

Yes I certainly can. I have had the barrel soaking now for a couple days and hope to get out this weekend to shoot it again. I will provide an update after I get a chance to punch some more paper with it. Fingers crossed!

YUP,.. THIS,.. ^^^^
About, 20 to, 30 Minutes,.. IS,.. MAXIMUM with, most of, the "Stronger" One's !
Barnes C-10,.. gets the Copper Out for, Me
I have some Montana Extreme copper remover. Basically straight ammonia 🤣

It's my "summer only" cleaner as you either use that crap outside or with every dang window open…and in -30 that's too expensive (I can hear my father in the back of my head "close the door dang it! Im not paying to heat the outside!")

I have tried them all...The best I have found is Patch Out. Before that I would clean with home brew 50/50 Kroil/GM Top Engine cleaner with bronze any nylon then alternate soaking and scrubbing with Sweets (DO NOT LEAVE IN FOR LONG SOAKS), JB Bore Cleaner, repeat until clean. Patch out does the same thing better just by itself with a nylon brush and you can let it sit and soak. DO NOT LET IT SOAK if you use the accelerator with it.

One more comment, NOT ALL BORE CLEANERS can be left in the bore for long periods of time like Hoppes9. Be careful if soaking bore with a bore cleaner that just might wreck it if left in for any period of time. Copper cleaners typically have very short time span in bore due to their chemical compositions.
Great point Muddy! I did once however, go against all warnings and filled an old Mauser 98 7x57 barrel with Sweets 7.62 due to the worst case of fouling and neglect I have ever seen and let it sit overnight with golf tee's in each end. My cipherin was, "If it eats the entire barrel, I'm not out more than about $150 for a new one." (This took place in about 1991 or 92 when barrels and everything else were a tad cheaper than today.) Anywho, the next morning, the smell in my shop about put me to my knees when I entered, the golf tee's were about a 1/4 the length that they started as and the liquid that remained was the darkest blue/black color I have ever seen and there were actual chunks in the liquid! As I got things cleaned up and began swabbing the barrel, I was pretty convinced that I was wasting my time but man was I wrong! That bore cleaned up like pert near new and with some Hornady 139 Interlocks, shot in the .75 range which made me really extremely happy!

Great point Muddy! I did once however, go against all warnings and filled an old Mauser 98 7x57 barrel with Sweets 7.62 due to the worst case of fouling and neglect I have ever seen and let it sit overnight with golf tee's in each end. My cipherin was, "If it eats the entire barrel, I'm not out more than about $150 for a new one." (This took place in about 1991 or 92 when barrels and everything else were a tad cheaper than today.) Anywho, the next morning, the smell in my shop about put me to my knees when I entered, the golf tee's were about a 1/4 the length that they started as and the liquid that remained was the darkest blue/black color I have ever seen and there were actual chunks in the liquid! As I got things cleaned up and began swabbing the barrel, I was pretty convinced that I was wasting my time but man was I wrong! That bore cleaned up like pert near new and with some Hornady 139 Interlocks, shot in the .75 range which made me really extremely happy!
PS- I would not and do not condone doing this. It was merely an old memory that got stirred by this thread.

OK guys, we have a shooter I think. I was able to go shoot a quick group tonight after work. I was just using cheaper factory ammo (Hornady Interlocks) shooting prone off of a bipod. After 2 fouling shots I shot a 3 shot group in the pic here. That is all I had time for tonight. I will get in on the bench soon and shoot some more but wow, it's like a different gun now.

So thank you for all of the help with this! The information in this thread was valuable.

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 29