Remington 700 .270 Accuracy Question

OnCall605

I just picked up a Remington .700 .270 recently. It is an old gun (1963), but hasn't been shot very much. With that said, it is wildly inaccurate. I'm talking like a 6" group at 100yd using a few different types of factory ammo. I did discover a crack in the stock so I put it in a Magpul Hunter and torqued to spec to see if that made a difference. It did not. Same results.

I have checked all of the obvious things such as torque on scope bases and rings. Have even tried two different scopes. I have given it a good cleaning a few different times now but what I noticed is that it doesn't seem to ever really get clean according to the feedback on my patches. Would residue build up through the years accumulate this much and cause accuracy issues this bad? I know it can cause accuracy issues but I've never seen it this bad. I used Bore Tech Eliminator, Butch's Bore Shine, and Wipe Out on different occasions all in an attempt to get this thing clean.

Can anyone shed some light for me? Anything basic I could try? Am I expecting the impossible....for a gun this old to drive tacks?

I've got a rem 700 .270 Win that has harmonic issue. I bought it new in 2008. Mine was in the 2moa range and I put a hideous limbsaver damper on the end of the barrel, which got me down to .75-1moa. That kept me from selling it. 6" sounds extreme! $10 might be worth trying if you don't get some better advise from the wizards on here...

Amazon product ASIN B00Z6K10HQ

Best of luck!
HW

I have given it a good cleaning a few different times now but what I noticed is that it doesn't seem to ever really get clean according to the feedback on my patches. Would residue build up through the years accumulate this much and cause accuracy issues this bad?
Yes to your last question. The rifle is 60 years old and I bet layers of copper and fouling. A rifle like this I would start soaking the barrel in Hoppes 9 right up into chamber FOR AT LEAST A FULL WEEK! It took 60 years to foul it so gonna take a long soak to clean it. I will bet it will take a few of these soaks to make any progress. I had to do this to a friends 788 he got from his dad, not sure if it ever saw a cleaning patch. Shot great 12 ga shot groups until prob a month of soaks and cleaning. I would go buy several bulk packs of brushes and patches slong with bulk bottle of Hoppes for the soaks. IMO better to do this in gradual manner versus military CMD assault on bore.

Probably, needs some Barnes C-10 , a good Soaking but, NO More than, 1/2 Hour as IT's Potent stuff, on several, Wet Patches and, a SERIOUS Scubbing with, a Bronze Brush using, JB's / Iosso. After using, the JB / iosso, Be SURE to, Clean the Barrel TWICE to get, ALL the JB / Iosso, "Residue",.. OUT !
I "locked Up" the Bolt on, my New 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka, by being "Lazy" and NOT cleaning,.. THOROUGHLY !
Look up, one of the MANY Cleaning Regimen's / Arguements on here and,.. have at, IT !
Then Buy some Quality 130 grain Ammo with, Federal, Sierra or, Hornady Bullets, loaded in them.
Might also have a Gunsmith, adjust your Trigger to,.. 2 to, 3.5 lbs,... Good Luck !

Last edited:
Idaho Lefty and I are thinking the same thing again.
Back in the 70's a gentleman gave me a Remington 700 in 7mm mag that shot about what your shoots.After a few days of trying to get it clean I gave up and bought a box of rifle barrel plugs and plugged the muzzle and sat it in a bowl and filled up the barrel to the top with the best degreaser I could find at the time,liquid Go-Jo.I let it sit for a few days and cleaned it again.Didn't have a bore scope back then but with a flash light I saw some rifleing and scrubbed until I got it clean.Took a long time but it shot great.
Rifle barrel plugs are cheap and easy to use.We have better cleaning agents now so it will be much easier I think.

There's some great ideas regarding the deep cleaning and going through and tightening the screws to specs, that's a pretty easy place to start. Don't give up on the rifle yet. I've got a 1952 Remington Model 721 in 270 Win that shoots 130 grain SSTs and 145 grain ELDX sub .500. It may turn out to be a shooter for you.

The biggest need is patience when recovering a bore. It can be and will be frustrating beyond belief. I will say it can be rewarding when you start with a cruddy bore that shoots like a 12 but once recovered shoots darn good. Plus you get great workout for arms, shoulders and hands.....Though be prepared to deal with all sorts of fumes from it. My wife wanted to know if there was meth lab in basement!😱😂 If you have an ozonics, fire it up!

I also have a .270 Rem 700 from the 1960's. it shot great with Nosler 130 grain BT's. When I was forced to go lead free in California, I struggled to get decent groups. I discovered that after cleaning the barrel, one shot made the inside look like a new penny. Out of desperation, I bought a Tubbs bore lapping bullet set. I followed the instructions and problem solved! It will now shoot .500 groups all day long with Barnes 110-130 grain TTSX bullets. Might give Tubbs a try if a good cleaning fails.

One more comment, NOT ALL BORE CLEANERS can be left in the bore for long periods of time like Hoppes9. Be careful if soaking bore with a bore cleaner that just might wreck it if left in for any period of time. Copper cleaners typically have very short time span in bore due to their chemical compositions.