Accuracy Question

Shoot it first and see how accurate it is. Then decide on what you need to do. Rifles are funny. Sometimes they shoot great right out of the box and then others need work done to them to make them shoot (which is most of the time). That's what makes it fun for me. Trying to figure it out and fix it but it is nice to just grab a brand new rifle and start shooting nice groups.

Maybe and maybe not. Shoot it and see what it does. If you want better accuracy, go down the path of developing hand loads first. If that does not get you where you want to be, then consider replacing stock parts with aftermarket products, and only if the rifle shows potential to be a "shooter".

I have only noticed incremental changes when JUST replacing a stock. It usually takes a combination of things to make a noticeable difference.

It actually doesnt shoot too bad at all. I would load pictures i took of it on my phone but i keep failing on that. Im looking forward to my next trip to do it again. Hopefully ill get the pics part right that time. gun)

What size groups are you getting? Depending on what size they are, a different stock may or may not help. You could also just try bedding it in the current stock, which could help a bit. The bottom line is do you need increased accuracy? If it is already shooting 'good' you might not need to do anything.

I have recently purchased a Browning X bolt in 308. Its the composite stalker with the Hogue overmold. My question is will replacing my plastic stock help with accuracy?
The Hogue overmold is not a plastic stock. It's a composite with I believe an internal aluminum frame and a rubberized "grippy" exterior.

Some have pillars, some have a full aluminum bedding block, not sure about the Browning versions.

Wilrose, since Chuckyd313's Hogue overmold is composite can it be skim bedded?

Composites are the preferred stocks for many of todays shooters. bed every stock, regardless of the mounting hardware is installed by the manufacturer. No two rifles are precisely the same so no manufacturer can make the perfect stock for every rifle. Do a good job of bedding the action on your Hogue and you may find it is more accurate than you imagined it could be.

Thanks for all the guidance guys. This is the greatest most helpful site ive even been to. This weekend Ill pull apart the rifle and see if the overmold goes completely around the stock all get a description to you guys about the lugs that are in there also. Ill let you know probably sunday. Thanks again everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.