Remington .308 with 5R rifling?

tacsniper0888

Hey guys I have a question? I'm looking for a medium to long range factory Remington precision rifle. I once had a Remington 700 SPS Tactial with the hogue stock and 20" heavy barrel with one in ten twist. I was wondering about the SPS Varmint model with the 26" heavy bull barrel with standard rifling or the new stainless 5R rifling barrel? I will be replacing the factory stock with a bell and Carlson fully adjustable for length of pull, cheek weld, and can't. Thanks for the input guys.

I was wondering about the SPS Varmint model with the 26" heavy bull barrel with standard rifling or the new stainless 5R rifling barrel? I will be replacing the factory stock with a bell and Carlson fully adjustable for length of pull, cheek weld, and can't.
Either rifling type with uniform bore and groove diameters as well as twist rate should do just fine.

20 inch barrels typically won't shoot any bullet from a .308 Win. fast enough with safe pressures to stay supersonic through 1000 yards. 26 inch is plenty for bullets heavier than 160 grains.

To answer your question the 5R Milspec will fit the bill for ya.I'm not sure to which one it is but Remington does use the 5R rifeling in another rifel they offer.Plus today Remington has almost done away with the 24 inched barrel.Most are saying that they can only find a 20 incher. ( in a new rifel ) But you can still find a 24 inch from time to time for sale at other sites or gunbrooker.

I have owned three Rem 308, 700 Milspecs, all very accurate, go mre than 200 rounds without loosing accuracy, and clean up in minutes. Found all of them at the Guns America site. They were a few hundred more than the standard rifles, but great shooters. Also the HD precision stock is top notch.

I have a Remington 5r milspec in both .308 and 300 win mag. My 308 is a 24 inch barrel and I can make hits to 1300 yards with my 178 hornady load. My shooting partner has the same .308 5r but its newer and came with a 20" threaded barrel. The velocity change from my stick to his measured with my ohler 35p is not very much. Less than you would think. He makes the same distace hits with a 20" barrel as I do with my 24". At 1000 yards and a well made hand load a 20" barrel is very very capable in 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts