Remington 5r gen 1 20" 308

New generation is still stainless but has fluting and a threaded muzzle. Also cerakote and a "tactical" bolt knob. The stock is the same, but a different color. Other than that, they are still fantastic rifles right out of the box, but you still have to replace the trigger.

That's about retail for what they were selling new for 3-4 years ago. Prices have since gone up, but that's because inventory became non-existent when Remington shut down and had to sell. If you find a new one or a slightly used one in great condition, that's probably a pretty good price by today's standard, but only you can make the call on whether or not it's a good value. Out of the box, the 5R model was typically regarded as a good rifle in both Gen1 and Gen2 versions.

I will add to the above that the parts are probably worth more than $800, if in good shape.

~$500 for the action, 200 for the stock, 125 for bottom metal and magazine, and maybe 100 for the barrel of you find the right person. The trigger is junk.

I figured $800 wasn't bad when people want that or more for a sps model that was $400 with a scope new

I have a 308 Gen 1. I recently sold a .223 Gen 1 and still have an unfired 300 Win Mag Gen 1.

I also have a 260 Gen 2 (rebarreled to 260AI). Only difference I could see between Gen 1 and Gen 2 was fluting, Cerakote and larger bolt knob.

I can tell you there is no way I would sell any of mine for $800.

I have a.223 Tactical 5R stainless. 24 inch tube. It shoots everything great from the crap factory. Sub moa, to my Hand loads 69 yr MK .225 inch. You will be happy with the rifle. Mine came with a excellent adjustable trigger. Set it to 1.5 pounds. Great gun. This is from before Remington went under.

As someone who had one and sold it (why?) get it and you'll probably be happy. You didn't say how old you thought it might be (used that is)

Last edited:
Mine was used but unfired, gentleman who sold it had to sell off many of his rifles and shotguns because he's in a fight with cancer. Just missed getting a threaded barrel version by couple of hours. He had many rifles in the same condition. Never fired. This one was not cheap. And I didn't haggle with him.