Remembering the Older Days of Reloading/Shooting

I had the privilege of spending some time with a Chosin Reservoir survivor (Bronz Star Recipient). We will never know the hardships those men went through. So cold there the trucks and weapons would hardly operate. He is 92 now and suffers from his battle wounds and also his years at Camp Le Jeune with the contaminated base water.
I had a friend that was there. He's gone now. I was from the Vietnam time. We would talks. He was Recon. I think of him often, and friends from War-11. One was tanker that releave the 100 First Airborne, and the other was Airborne.
Man the questions I would have for them now. They would talk some, but I didn't really had to many question at the time. I do now.
They all had a funny laugh. I ended up with that same laugh. I think is goes along with where and what you done. I feel for the young men that were in the last several wars. I've see many with PTSD.
We again wasted men in fights we didn't finish, and for what?
Regan, first Bush, and Trump got things done the rest weren't worth the time of day. The thing that we have in office today, is totally worthless.
We got off onto something else. Sorry about that!

If you want to go to a gun shop where it feels like... Elmer Keith, who has been there many times, and Jack O'Connor could walk in at any moment, well it's LoLo Gun Shop in Lewiston ID. The last time I was in there the floor still had that late 1940s wood squeak to them, and you never forget that real gun shop smell. You older guys will know what I mean, you younger guys, well... sorry you missed a real treat as nostalgia goes. Gentlemen, crack a smile too those days we walked in the sun! 🥹;) Cheers.

11045351_875728855799550_7990454662611981561_o.jpg

11717404_939040549468380_4176709786262200708_o.jpg

I love those old time stores. I grew up and spent much of my early adult years in similar stores, and the local small town pharmacy that was built in the early 1900's had warped and creaking wood floors, and in the back of the store was another level that held sporting goods, reloading supplies, guns, etc. The family owners were not only pharmacists, but they were very avid shooters and cowboy types. About 15 miles away in another town was an old time sporting goods, boot and gun store run by an WWII vet who collected everything like a hoarder, and I loved going in and finding hidden treasures on the shelves, corners, back rooms, etc. Even if the price tag was years or a decade old, he would still honor it. Those old smells and memories last a lifetime.

I had a friend that was there. He's gone now. I was from the Vietnam time. We would talks. He was Recon. I think of him often, and friends from War-11. One was tanker that releave the 100 First Airborne, and the other was Airborne.
Man the questions I would have for them now. They would talk some, but I didn't really had to many question at the time. I do now.
They all had a funny laugh. I ended up with that same laugh. I think is goes along with where and what you done. I feel for the young men that were in the last several wars. I've see many with PTSD.
We again wasted men in fights we didn't finish, and for what?
Regan, first Bush, and Trump got things done the rest weren't worth the time of day. The thing that we have in office today, is totally worthless.
We got off onto something else. Sorry about that!
We lose our most precious personnel experience every day. Take the time to get to know and take what knowledge you can before they are gone. My dad was a WWII and cold war vet-35 years on active duty in the Navy during WWII and the new AF from 1947-1975. Even after all these years, I still find myself wanting to ask him about some sort of question. Too late now. I miss him terribly! Don't let that happen to you guys! God bless!

We lose our most precious personnel experience every day. Take the time to get to know and take what knowledge you can before they are gone. My dad was a WWII and cold war vet-35 years on active duty in the Navy during WWII and the new AF from 1947-1975. Even after all these years, I still find myself wanting to ask him about some sort of question. Too late now. I miss him terribly! Don't let that happen to you guys! God bless!
They are all gone. I'll see them on the other side. Most people it's very hard to talk about it on what happen.
I watch Fury. Where the SS and the other soldier were shot. The one tanker in W.W.-11 was a buck sgt. He was told to take the captureds soldiers to the POW Camp. It was 40 miles away. He was also told be to be back in 15 minutes too. They were back in less than 15 minutes. :)

They are all gone. I'll see them on the other side. Most people it's very hard to talk about it on what happen.
I watch Fury. Where the SS and the other soldier were shot. The one tanker in W.W.-11 was a buck sgt. He was told to take the captureds soldiers to the POW Camp. It was 40 miles away. He was also told be to be back in 15 minutes too. They were back in less than 15 minutes. :)
My dad was in the Pacific theater during WWII. He didn't like talking about anything either. What little he did say was skin crawling horrible! I find myself not wanting to talk about war time stuff but other, more common experience. But he's gone, too late.
As you said, I'll see him on the other side.

My dad was in the Pacific theater during WWII. He didn't like talking about anything either. What little he did say was skin crawling horrible! I find myself not wanting to talk about war time stuff but other, more common experience. But he's gone, too late.
As you said, I'll see him on the other side.
You are 100% right. WW2 vets especially from Pacific Theater will not talk about their experiences. Obviously horrible. My dad was rear gunner mechanic in a Dauntless Dive Bomber. Not many survived in that aircraft. Sitting duck in dive in full flaps. Never opened up to me. Just said better left unsaid.

Growing up, I was a WW2 history buff. I read everything I could find, and all of it was written to make it less ugly, less real. Once I commented to my Dad, a veteran. that the Germans had shot POW's at Malmedy. He firmly advised me that Germans were not alone in shooting prisoners. I was stunned. Not passing judgement at all, the SS had it coming in my mind. Still, not in any books at that time.

He never talked about the war. I knew he was part of the Eighth Army Air force, a belly gunner in a B-17. Sadly, it was years after he passed that the History channel ran a series titled "Suicide Missions" about WW2. One episode covered men in Europe in Sherman tanks, which only had a chance against German armor when they overwhelmed them in sheer numbers.

I still remember the episode on the B-17 belly gunners. Hydraulics were used to raise and lower the pod, they were not isolated or redundant. You couldn't escape from the pod once it was lowered, so even if the shot up plane made it back to base, you would not survive the landing. He never let on, never mentioned how many friends he lost. I just wish they had made that series before he passed away.

Growing up, I was a WW2 history buff. I read everything I could find, and all of it was written to make it less ugly, less real. Once I commented to my Dad, a veteran. that the Germans had shot POW's at Malmedy. He firmly advised me that Germans were not alone in shooting prisoners. I was stunned. Not passing judgement at all, the SS had it coming in my mind. Still, not in any books at that time.

He never talked about the war. I knew he was part of the Eighth Army Air force, a belly gunner in a B-17. Sadly, it was years after he passed that the History channel ran a series titled "Suicide Missions" about WW2. One episode covered men in Europe in Sherman tanks, which only had a chance against German armor when they overwhelmed them in sheer numbers.

I still remember the episode on the B-17 belly gunners. Hydraulics were used to raise and lower the pod, they were not isolated or redundant. You couldn't escape from the pod once it was lowered, so even if the shot up plane made it back to base, you would not survive the landing. He never let on, never mentioned how many friends he lost. I just wish they had made that series before he passed away.
While I was stationed at Rhein Main AB in the late '70s, I was on a trip to southern Germany. I took a tour to the concentration camp at Dachau. I witnessed the most horrific things I have ever seen at the site museum. My family asks me why I didn't take pictures. I told them that what I saw left a permanent irreversible image in my head. To this day, it still haunts me. Think about what our military (and civilians) went through being imprisoned there.The hatred and persecution of man toward mankind is truly unimaginable! I know this is off topic, but I had to say this. Apologies to the forum members.

While I was stationed at Rhein Main AB in the late '70s, I was on a trip to southern Germany. I took a tour to the concentration camp at Dachau. I witnessed the most horrific things I have ever seen at the site museum. My family asks me why I didn't take pictures. I told them that what I saw left a permanent irreversible image in my head. To this day, it still haunts me. Think about what our military (and civilians) went through being imprisoned there.The hatred and persecution of man toward mankind is truly unimaginable! I know this is off topic, but I had to say this. Apologies to the forum members.
No matter how bad it is actual history and no apologies necessary you didn't do anything!

Problems come from all sides. You had to learn your men or friends in the field. Officers and Sgt. too. Some were dam good and others you couldn't trust. At the same time we were all in it together. At the same time you watch out for each other.
Thinking back to a man I knew. He was a gunner on B17 in WW11. What he said that after 50 misson they to be sent back home. That didn't happen. He made it 65 mission. Got home alive.
I know after getting home. If I meet Jet jock. I would buy then dinner. I would tell them for the bombs they dropped. They didn't realize how much that help. I still today if I meet one I see about getting a dinner for them. I don't care what war they were in.

Last edited:
I was stationed in Germany near the French border in the late seventies. I have many good memories visiting the Munich area. Dachau would not be one of them. No apology is necessary.

When I was 14 years old, I rode my bike down to the LGS and bought my first gun. It was a Browning T bolt. The store owner asked me if it would be OK to call my parents, because if I had to bring it back, he would have to give me used price and he didn't want to see a youngster lose money on a gun.

He called my mom, and I plopped down my $52.50 paper route money, threw the box over the handle bars and pedaled home. He also threw in a brick of Super X .22 in the yellow box with the big red x on it.

And since you asked, yes, it is still in the gun safe.