Remage Barrel

I really don't think you would regret a Criterion barrel. Not only are they great barrels, the people are NSS are really easy to work with. Very good customer support from my personal experience. I think Jim sold NSS to his son in law within the last year, but they were still super responsive to emails and phone calls.

Only downside I can think of, is last I saw Criterion only offered 308 caliber in 1:10 or 1:8 twist. I understood that a 1:9 would be optimal for the heavy 230gr bullets. I emailed Berger before ordering my 300 Win Mag barrel from NSS. Berger told me to go with the 1:10 and I wouldn't have any problems. So that's what I did.

I don't have my 300 Win Mag together yet. But my 6.5-284 barrel I got at the same time shoots fantastic.

I really don't think you would regret a Criterion barrel. Not only are they great barrels, the people are NSS are really easy to work with. Very good customer support from my personal experience. I think Jim sold NSS to his son in law within the last year, but they were still super responsive to emails and phone calls.

Only downside I can think of, is last I saw Criterion only offered 308 caliber in 1:10 or 1:8 twist. I understood that a 1:9 would be optimal for the heavy 230gr bullets. I emailed Berger before ordering my 300 Win Mag barrel from NSS. Berger told me to go with the 1:10 and I wouldn't have any problems. So that's what I did.

I don't have my 300 Win Mag together yet. But my 6.5-284 barrel I got at the same time shoots fantastic.

Yeah I'm thinking a 1:10 is all I will need. I'm really not set on a bullet over 210 grains. Really I am wanting to accurately shoot the 200gr ELD-X and 208gr ELD-M or something in that ballpark. I had thought about shooting the big heavy 220+ bullets but I don't need it. If I need something bigger I can always step up to a .338

All this talk about Remage made me take mine out to play today. This is a 7mmRM Criterion bbl
Both groups shot at 200 yards.

Attachments

• 20161001_134540.jpg
    20161001_134540.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 100
Pac-nor makes a very good barrel also, and there pac-nut system looks alot better than most. Although I just ordered 2 citerion barrels today.

Yeah I'm thinking a 1:10 is all I will need. I'm really not set on a bullet over 210 grains. Really I am wanting to accurately shoot the 200gr ELD-X and 208gr ELD-M or something in that ballpark. I had thought about shooting the big heavy 220+ bullets but I don't need it. If I need something bigger I can always step up to a .338

I used to think that way too, but when I went with a 30" SS Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour on my .270 AI propelling the Matrix 175 VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load) it changed my opinion.

Below is the last cold bore shot at 200 yards before calling it good for the 2014 season.

200yardscoldboreshot_zps0457c291.jpg

It yield a young muley buck at 311 yards ...

1103140938a_zpsaec59d74.jpg

1103140915a_zpsfbc5f01d.jpg

Good luck on your project build.

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
I don't have a Remage, but my Criterion Savage pre-fit in 280ai is proving to be a .5moa shooter. With help from a couple members here on load development, 60gr of RL26 and a 160 Accubond is right on. I ordered this barrel through NSS and have no regrets. Jim was awesome to work with. He actually recommended Criterion over the Shilen barrels he sells. My $.02.
Chuck

Not everybody is in it for the money. There are a bunch who will try to get you to what will work best. That has been my personal experience with NSS.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts