Remage Threading

NealC

I noticed in a couple threads that the gunsmith may have "modified" the receiver threads when new barrels are installed and that one cannot use a Remage barrel because of that reason. Aren't threads made to a spec? Can someone explain this? I got a line on an X-Caliber Remage barrel and would like use it but my receiver was rebarreled and the gunsmith is longer around.

some smiths thread to .010 over in receiver then cut bbl thd to match, when re-barreling, just have to ck. before you order bbl.

MGM has built most of their success machining custom barrels for TC platform rifles and pistols like the Omega, Oncore, Contender etc... Those barrels are the most accurate available for the TC platform, so I think it is a safe bet to assume that their savage/ remage barrels will be shooters as well.

MGM has built most of their success machining custom barrels for TC platform rifles and pistols like the Omega, Oncore, Contender etc... Those barrels are the most accurate available for the TC platform, so I think it is a safe bet to assume that their savage/ remage barrels will be shooters as well.

Thank you for your verification of quality!! Now I have another option to consider that might be cheaper to build a 6.5PRC off of!!

I shoot two barrels from them. Great guys they are. Look into mgm (match grade machine hurricane Utah).

I noticed in a couple threads that the gunsmith may have "modified" the receiver threads when new barrels are installed and that one cannot use a Remage barrel because of that reason. Aren't threads made to a spec? Can someone explain this? I got a line on an X-Caliber Remage barrel and would like use it but my receiver was rebarreled and the gunsmith is longer around.
It seems the way to tell if the receiver has been "trued" would be to measure the diameter of the threads on the old barrel. Assuming you have a 700 action, the factory thread should be 1.062x16. If barrel is standard thread it will probably measure from 1.058 to 1.064. When action threads are straightened or recut, the standard specs are not used and the barrel then has to be "fitted" to the new thread dimension in the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.