MGM - Preferred Barrel - Remage Experience?

Muddyboots

Anybody have any experience with these folks?
https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/

MGM has built me several Encore barrels over the years that were exceptional in accuracy so have a Remage build I am considering and they do it through these folks.

Performance? Customer service? Did you do the Remage or have them do it?

I have a list of Remage providers that I am working through and I don't have any info on them at all.
Thanks,
Muddy

Purchased a 6MM CM Remage from Northland Shooters Supply and happy with it. Went with 1-7 twist match barrel and it's lights out even at 1050Yds. Purchasing a pre-bedded stock to try and get a little more out of it.

I would like to revive this post with the OPs original question: if anyone has any experience with these or target pictures?

I ended up purchasing a Preferred Barrel 300WSM Remage and it shoots great in my 100 yard range in backyard. When I can get back to shooting at club which only has out to 300 I will post up again. Fit and finish is really nice. I had asked for the chamber to be SAAMI but I wanted it on the short side of SAAMI which is contrary to 99% of what you normally want but my Magpul AICS COAL limitation was the driver to give me possibility to load 0.010 off with virtually any bullet. I know it is limiting but this is not an ELR rig just mid 500-600 probably for Indiana ag field hunting. I also went with spiral fluting which I think turned out nice. Bore does not really copper foul hardly at all. Chamber from what I can see at this time is smooth not tool marks. Brass comes out clean with any markings on it. No carbon on outside of necks. So far, I am liking what I see. This is my first build so it went as well as I could hope it would. I bought go gauge set from PTG and the barrel set up went perfect once I realized what a dumass I was initially. Thought I'd share since it is kind of funny. I was so excited to get the barrel spun on ONLY as a look see as to what it looked like on receiver. Looked great but was crushed! All that excess thread showing after barrel was spun up to gauge. Dang how could this be? How could it be so wrong! DUMAS!!!! Forgot to put recoil lug on!!:eek:🤬🤬 Here is final build pic so far with one load with 190 Speer Impact off a plastic table in yard so bit flimsy to shoot off.
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG

I recently used a PBB on a bighorn build for a mid range hunting rifle. 6.5 creed at 18". It threaded on nicely, no slop. Machining appeared to be very good. Torqued it down to 75 lbs, checked headspace, and went shooting.

Shoots just as good as other custom barrels I have. Think it took right at 5 weeks to get. For the price, it certainly seems like a good deal so far.

IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2350.JPG
1st group.JPG

I recently used a PBB on a bighorn build for a mid range hunting rifle. 6.5 creed at 18". It threaded on nicely, no slop. Machining appeared to be very good. Torqued it down to 75 lbs, checked headspace, and went shooting.

Shoots just as good as other custom barrels I have. Think it took right at 5 weeks to get. For the price, it certainly seems like a good deal so far.

View attachment 192544View attachment 192545View attachment 192546View attachment 192547
Good looking rifle. Nice shooting there as well.

I haven't had good luck with their barrels unfortunately.
I just sent back a 300 PRC that absolutely would not group consistently, copper fouled badly, and sent really bad cold bore flyers.
This is the second barrel from them that's
done this, I'll get back to you guys about customer service when they're done inspecting my barrel.

I ended up purchasing a Preferred Barrel 300WSM Remage and it shoots great in my 100 yard range in backyard. When I can get back to shooting at club which only has out to 300 I will post up again. Fit and finish is really nice. I had asked for the chamber to be SAAMI but I wanted it on the short side of SAAMI which is contrary to 99% of what you normally want but my Magpul AICS COAL limitation was the driver to give me possibility to load 0.010 off with virtually any bullet. I know it is limiting but this is not an ELR rig just mid 500-600 probably for Indiana ag field hunting. I also went with spiral fluting which I think turned out nice. Bore does not really copper foul hardly at all. Chamber from what I can see at this time is smooth not tool marks. Brass comes out clean with any markings on it. No carbon on outside of necks. So far, I am liking what I see. This is my first build so it went as well as I could hope it would. I bought go gauge set from PTG and the barrel set up went perfect once I realized what a dumass I was initially. Thought I'd share since it is kind of funny. I was so excited to get the barrel spun on ONLY as a look see as to what it looked like on receiver. Looked great but was crushed! All that excess thread showing after barrel was spun up to gauge. Dang how could this be? How could it be so wrong! DUMAS!!!! Forgot to put recoil lug on!!:eek:🤬🤬 Here is final build pic so far with one load with 190 Speer Impact off a plastic table in yard so bit flimsy to shoot off.View attachment 192540View attachment 192541
I'm gonna guess that your vertical was due to what you were shooting off of. Still not bad considering what you had at the moment for a shooting rest

I just sent back a 300 PRC that absolutely would not group consistently, copper fouled badly, and sent really bad cold bore flyers.
done this, I'll get back to you guys about customer service when they're done inspecting my barrel.
Yes keep us updated.

Are those two the only two you've got from them? Is this second barrel a replacement for the first?

I have a 7mm rem mag on a Weatherby vanguard from them. Shoots great. They are great guys, good prices and quick turn around. Target is the first 100 yard group after break in. No load development just an smk on top of a medium charge of 7828 used for break in.

Attachments

• 5982FEFE-890D-47C8-B18B-551E434975F9.jpeg
    5982FEFE-890D-47C8-B18B-551E434975F9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 30EE6DD2-6DC2-48C6-B7E5-EDD942D35424.jpeg
    30EE6DD2-6DC2-48C6-B7E5-EDD942D35424.jpeg
    759.8 KB · Views: 135
1:10 since it will be used by my son for factory at some point going down the road so I wanted it to be a little more flexible for him to buy ammo since he doesn't reload. Part of the vertical issue I was experiencing was from poor cheek weld since I had the comb height still on low side from previous stock barrel and Standard Leupold low rings which didn't line up very well to the 20MOA rail plus the 30MM Bushnell Forge. . I since added more comb and feels spot on now. I feel confident it will shoot fine. Not so sure about that 190 Impact bullet yet though. I plan on shooting some 180AB's that have always shot in the 300WSM pretty well. I haven't been able to shoot at all in last 3+ weeks since the farmer to the north of me was installing water irrigation system that was down range from me in some regard. I have a really good relationship with him and his family so I do not even consider shooting even though perfectly safe from the direction aspect the muzzle blast is still going their way. Just a neighborly courtesy that I do since I can shoot so many other times plus he lets me yote hunt all I want.. I think he actually finished yesterday so once he gets back to me I will be trying some loads out even if only 100 yards. Plus I dug out a really heavy redwood table that is much better in weight and heck I can jump on it and it won't move. So there goes my excuses going forward...Dang didn't think of that!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.