Remington 700 bolt swap for Remage barrel

806guns

I have had a Remington 700 SA 308 bolt face that i have a Remage. Im wanting to get a 223 bolt and use it for a 223 build for awhile. Can i just headspace the 223 bolt to the 223 barrel ?

I have had a Remington 700 SA 308 bolt face that i have a Remage. Im wanting to get a 223 bolt and use it for a 223 build for awhile. Can i just headspace the 223 bolt to the 223 barrel ?

You will need to consider the feed rails when you switch from the .308 to the .223 cartridge. The space between the rails is larger for the .308 than the .223 so the .223 will pop up without being retained by the rails.

Another consideration is the follower, box and spring which are sized for the .223 cartridge instead of the .308 which are larger.

With switch barrel rifles we usually try to keep the 2nd barrel chambered for the same family of cartridges, in your situation, the .260 or the .243.

:)

Have you considered keeping 308 BF and 22BR, 22BRA, 22GT, etc.? That would just require another barrel and use existing bolt.
I have but wanting to keep it simple. I have a 22xc for my heavies.

This will solve your problem.

This will solve your problem.

Maybe not...

The company is located in New Zealand and only ships in New Zealand. But just in case:

110.00 New Zealand Dollars =
68.248819 US Dollars
1 NZD = 0.620444 USD
1 USD = 1.61175 NZD

I wouldn't bank on getting any satisfaction from trying to order this.

Best of luck though.

Maybe not...

The company is located in New Zealand and only ships in New Zealand. But just in case:

68.248819 US Dollars
1 NZD = 0.620444 USD
1 USD = 1.61175 NZD

Best of luck though.

What about the magpul bottom kits

Maybe not...

68.248819 US Dollars
1 NZD = 0.620444 USD
1 USD = 1.61175 NZD

Best of luck though.

Yeah didn't catch that.

Yes you can headspace any short bolt body to any short action Remington as long as you have headspace gauges and are doing a remage conversion.

I took the .223 bolt body off for a Valkyrie bolt face bolt body from PTG and got headspace gauges for it and a remage barrel.

Last edited:
From Magpul:

Product Details

The Bolt Action Magazine Well – Hunter 700 Stock is a drop-in solution for our Remington 700 Hunter Stock for those who want to add detachable box magazine capabilities to their rifle.
By simply removing your OEM bottom metal and our spacer from the Hunter 700 Stock, users can add this reinforced polymer trigger guard and magazine well without the need for custom inletting from gunsmiths. Designed to work with AICS pattern, short action magazines.
This kit also includes one Magpul PMAG® 5 7.62 AC. Installs easily with no gunsmithing required*.
Made in the USA.

Bear in mind that this system is reinforced polymer trigger guard and magazine well. It is NOT metal.

I have one of these that I use for a test bed but I have not done any stress testing or testing to failure with it.

Maybe do a search for some of the reviews which should be available.

Best of Luck!

What would be involved in converting the rifle to use AICS magazines? If I understand how those work correctly that should solve the feeding problem(s) of different case sizes. Whether or not the OP wants to go that direction (I know some do not like detachable mags) or not is a different issue.