Barrel swap

bradking1

can a barrel that has been threaded for a commercial mauser action be rethreaded to fit a ruger m77 action? found a stainless barrel cheap and was thinking of buying it if this can be done.

Brad

Which Mauser action do you have?

If the barrel that you are looking at is not a custom barrel, I would simply check around for a new take off bbl for a Ruger in the chambering you want, minor fitting required.

If it is a good custom barrel, I would cut off the bbl tennon, rethread and rechamber anyway. Headspace will not be correct the way it is, and chambering will more than likely be required anyway, and you'd still end up with a half *** thread job cutting the new thread over another... if even feasable to begin with... I just wouldn't go there if it were me.

i don't have a mauser action...the barrel is threaded for a mauser action and i have a ruger k77vt that i want to rebarrel to 7mm-08. unfortunately i don't have a lot of cash and the mauser barrel is priced right. i don't know if the barrel tennon is large enough to be rethreaded for the ruger action

by the way...don't know if it's worth it but...it's a short chambered 7mm-08 barrel (adams & bennett)...have heard good things about them except some need to be lapped. but for the price it would be hard to beat...and it is probably better than the stock ruger barrel anyway. i know it's not a shilen (have a couple of rifles with these on them)but like i said before the price is hard to beat

What action is this barrel presently threaded for I guess is what I should have asked.

I think it's something like .980" O.D. 12 TPI ( for a small ring), or 1.100" O.D. 12 TPI (large ring Mauser)

The Ruger is something like 1.094" (1-3/32") 12 TPI... I believe.

Wish I had more experience with the Mausers, but someone here probably does.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.