Rem triggerpull probs

BRrooster

Ive got a Rem 700 sps in 708 and am having a problem with adjusting the
trigger pull. With the action out of the stock , I've got the trigger pull about
where I want it, (measured with a small digital fishing scale).....47.9 oz, 49.3oz
51.5oz,48.6oz right around 3lbs. But when I put it all back together it jumps
way up to ....65oz,78oz,72oz,69oz,76oz....etc. What the heck?
I noticed , when I had it apart there seems to be a mark between the trigger
inletting and the magazine inletting where one of the trigger adjustment screws is rubbbing. What would you do? Relieve it a bit more for clearance?
cheers
bruce

Attachments

• rem7mm08 005.jpg
    rem7mm08 005.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 60
Bruce, I have not experienced that problem, but is it not possible that the trigger adjustment screws are fouling when you put the action in the stock ? I don't know why that would increase the load on the trigger though.

I HIGHLY recommend that you follow the correct safety verification procedure as explained here Adjusting the Remington 700 Trigger

I can attest to the fact that I was unable to get an acceptable trigger pull on my own Remington without failing the safety test (slamming the bolt or the butt against the ground would cause it to fire with the safety on), so I finally fitted a Shilen trigger which cost just under $100 and has worked perfectly and is also safe (I didn't need to make any adjustments).

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Safety Checks!

After you are happy with the feel of the trigger it is essential that you perform a safety check as described here. First, slam the bolt closed HARD up to a dozen times watching to see if the sear allows the firing pin to be released. If the firing pin is released, back out the sear engagement screw another 1/4 turn, and repeat slamming the bolt again.
Next, cock the firing pin and put the weapon on "SAFE" and pull the trigger, release the trigger, put the weapon on "FIRE". Repeat this process several times and if the firing pin is released, increase the trigger pull and repeat this process.
Once these safety checks are performed, take nail polish and seal the heads of the screws and allow it to dry. I normally try to use two coats to make sure that the screws are properly glued in place. Once adjusted, the Remington trigger rarely needs additional adjustment and can be as good as many after market triggers.

Postscript:

I have recently purchased a new Remington 700 Classic that quite literally had the God awful worse trigger I have ever felt on any gun. This trigger was rough in the sear engagement and the trigger spring itself was too stiff to allow for any adjustment that was acceptable for my taste. I understand that it is possible to buy replacement trigger springs and to have the sear surface polished but these are tasks that are beyond my level of understanding so I took a trigger out of a well used Remington 700 ADL from the early 1970's and swapped it for my new trigger. I felt guilty selling my old ADL with that new Rem. 700 trigger that was so lousy, but at least the gun that I wanted to keep has a crisp 2-pound trigger that I can trust to work as a quality trigger should!
[/FONT]

Use a round file or dremel and clearance that area. Be careful not to make it to thin but you shouldn't have to remove to much material.

I dremeled out that area and now there is nothing at all touching the trigger mechanism. Set my trigger to around 50 to 54oz and put her all back together.
Did all the tests, banging bumping slamming the bolt home and setting and "unsetting" the safety. Seems good to go , no problems. Nail polished the screws a nice red color , just like the wifes toe nails .
The problem with the difference in my previous testing might have been; with the action free I was getting a good straight pull on the trigger, and with everthing put back together I was pulling the trigger at a bit of an angle to clear the stock. I'll check that out next weekend .
cheers
bruce

P point the rifle in a safe direction
R remove the cartridges
O observe the chamber
V verify the feed path
E examine the bore

Its always a bad idea when any part of the gun touches the stock except the part that is supposed to (rear of recoil lug and bottom of receiver). I used to find that the trigger screw would bind until it was fully in position, then it would be free. Rem has been making that trigger for many many years now...

Do you tighten the action screws hand tight, then push the barrel towards the rear with the butt on the ground to preload the recoil lug ? Then tighten the action screws ? The plastic stocks are fairly "slick" and one needs to be sure you put some load on that recoil lug...

If you do a bedding job to it it will greatly improve the consistency of that rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.