Rem 700 Tactical

Graebner

Hey folks,

First off Let me say I applogize for my ignorance (meaning true use of the word, without knowledge) My background is, 8 years in The USMC, 4 active and 4 reserve. Ive been in the STA platoon for 3 years (NOT YET SCHOOL TRAINED) so again my knowledge on building a rifle is quite limited....

Earlier this yet I bought a Rem 700 SPS Tactical with threaded barrel.
I have on it:
Vortext 4-16x50mm PST FFP
Some cheap Cadwell Bipod

even with the cruddy hoage stock my Best group is .317 of a inch but im normally under 1/2inch MOA at 100.
(UNLESS I COMEPLETELY MEASURED WRONG) but I measured from edge to edge and minus .308 to be from center to center.
either way this group was friggn sick...

Ive been shooting Blackhills 168 and 175 SMK .308 ammo

Im wanting to put this baby in a AICS AT stock and get a match m24 contour barrel and get my action Blueprinted and Trued and squared.

as far as my barrel. I have no idea what things i should ask for gunsmithing wise. Ive been reading alot lately and have only gotten confused. things like "dialing in a Barrel" "indiacating a barrel" and "Indexing a barrel"..... I have a slight idea of what these mean and what actually would be done is an other story. My main goal is to shoot this baby from 100-1000 yards on steel just for fun. But accurately. holding hopefully 5-10inch groups at 1000. i will shoot from the prone with biapod and sandsock and sometimes from a tripod with a hog saddle. mostly tactical style shooting.

So if any one knows whats up or help guide me in the right direction that would be awesome. Im currently in St.Louis and would have to drive anywhere from 1 hr to several hours to shoot longer then 100. Im also wanting to get into handloading ammo. but for me its one thing at a time.

Thank you

Last edited:
Well first of all if you are shooting less than .5 as-is then the rifle is capable of the end goal as it sits as long as you dial-hold to the right spot. As far as what to tell a smith tell him-her to, true the action, install barrel of you choice or his-her recommendation, chambered to whatever round fits in your action and you want to shoot, bed the action in stock of your choice and float the barrel. As far as the rest of the terminology you asked about, as long as you are talking to a GOOD smith all that should be a given.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.