Remington 700 sps tactical build

SteveAreno

So it was Christmas time last year.. I was in the market for a new rifle. Was looking for a savage. But the Sportsmans in my area didn't have the modal I wanted. Or a cheaper version with accutrigger. I was at the gun counter and was looking at the sales catalog and some of offers they had. And saw this Remington on there. Remington 700 sps tactical in 308 Winchester... Sale price of 550.00. I really wantred the savage so i turned around and left. Drove down the street. And said to myself " ya know Steve? That Remington is a fine rifle too!" I turned that thing around and went back and bought it.. Out the door for just over 600. Got it home unpacked it and threw a bi-pod on it a base, scope and rings. (that i had laying around)
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
So now i have this rifle. Pretty happy with it. Scope is way too high but i decided to live with it for a while and took it out to the desert and shot some paint cans and stuff. Man this rifle is great! So I decided to do a few up grades to it.IMG_1520.jpg[/ATTACH]
The badger ordnance tactical bolt knob.
This bolt handle was a great thing to add. The little bolt knob was hard to get a hold of not to mention it pinched my thumb against the scope.
So like any guy. Fallowing the moto "if its worth doing! It's worth overdoing!" My next addition would be the M5 D.B.M. stealth kit from stockys.
Ok I'm out of picture room. And i still have stuff to show so go ahead and check it out in the comments.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 121
Ok so continuing from above.. IMG_1576.jpg I wanted to make sure this thing would work so i checked it with the supplied pillars and everything cycled fine.
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
This is only some of the pictures i wanna be able to get as much information out as I can. That this stuff is possible for the novice gun smith with just a few basic tools you too can do this. I decided to sacrifice the hogue factory stock. Because I had an hs precision on the way. The only problem i had with this D.B.M. kit was that the the line that's on the side of the mag well is pretty low. I imagine it was designed to accommodate a taller stock where the action is. So i drilled it in deep enough to almost hide this line. but it left two big recesses where the action screws are.(still cycled fine just unsightly )
About this time my new scope base and rings showed up from DNZ. This one has20 moa built in versus the 15moa the other base has. This was huge! As far as proper sight allingment.
IMG_1636.jpgIMG_1630.jpg

Ok once again out of room. I'm not a computer guy. So you even seeing these is a miracle in itself. Next comment please

IMG_1635.jpg
Here's another shot with the new rings and sunshade on.. Not looking to bad for rookie. So now the scary part.
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1643.jpg
Ok. I did use a mill on this part. But its the first one I've done. knowing what i know now it could've been done with a drill press and a file. The area around the mag well is mostly fiber glass(easy to get carried away so DON'T) only a small amount of the aluminum needed to come out. Just open the mag well up and test fit as you go. No biggy right? I planned on painting it any how. So when i bed the bottom metal in.. The bedding compound will be hidden.
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg
Not bad for a bone stock barrel and trigger.. I bedded the action in it last weekend and got even better groups. But once again out of room.. This is a 5 shot group with 43.5 gr of 4064 2.80 oal.

Last edited:
What bi-pod are Ya using? I have different model scope, and really would like to go with a magazine set up. My fat fingers have a hard time pushing the skinny bullets into the gap between scope mount and bolt rails. Nice choice in stock colors!

It's actually a Blackhawk. I found for the price it's pretty well set up and strong not to mention stable. I ordered it from cabelas on sale for about $40. It's done everything. I've asked it to. It has cant for side to side. Only two lock in positions at 6" and 9". With set screws for any other position you might want. For the price? Not a bad deal.
The DBM is much nicer than than the BDL. And from what I've seen with this version(M5 stealth) every bit as reliable. The only times I've had a failure to feed was when I short stroke it. Or I don't get the case heads against the back of the magazine. It should be noted though that I had the same problem with the BDL. You just get used to hitting the magazine on something to shift them to the back all the way.
The stock is great! Very comfy and not overly heavy. I like the palm swell it has. But the color wasn't my first choice. I wanted OD green but it was out of stock. Big surprise I know. But I plan on painting it after everything is bedded with a digital camo paint job. So we'll see how that goes.
How's yours shoot? Mine right out of the box shot out to 500 at a paint can in the wind! I couldn't believe it! image.jpg

Thought you'd wanna see this too. It should probably be in the reloading section. But since its from the gun shown above. I think it's fine. Two 5 shot groups at 100yards.
43.5 grains IMR 4064 (left target) is an oal of 2.80" average velocity of 2645 from the rifles 20" barrel. (right target) is 2.87" I'd imagine similar velocity.
Shot at 75 degrees with wind blowing south at around 5-7mph blue bird day.image.jpg
This is after I bedded it. Not much different. But it'll make me sleep better at night.

Excellent Job, mine is close but not that close. I don't have space to do loading, so I'm at the mercy of factory ammo. Odd thing is, I have found Atomic Ammo to be very consistent. 1 faulty round in 300 fired. 168 grain "Match".:D on my BEST day I have done a couple bug holes at 200 yrds. but that as far as I get to shoot locally. Trying to get into new place that has 600 yrds. But no paint cans :(

Good deal buddy! Yeah I've found mine shoots it's best through a clean bore. So every time I stop I run a snake through it. Give it a minute to cool a little, then continue shooting. The snake helps. But it's no substitute for a brush and patches. And it keeps you at the range longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.