Rem 700 Recoil Lug

13point

Which Recoil Lug do you guy like to use for 700 builds? I think this is the last part I need to decide on for my 6.5x47 build. I read where some like tapered lugs and some are totally against them. I would just like to get some info. to help me decide.

Thanks

The Tubb recoil lug is a great choice. I used the Holland lug for my 338RUM build & am pleased as well. Some 'smiths build their own lugs, talk to your smith, they can provide some fantastic info based on their experience.

Which Recoil Lug do you guy like to use for 700 builds? I think this is the last part I need to decide on for my 6.5x47 build. I read where some like tapered lugs and some are totally against them. I would just like to get some info. to help me decide.

Thanks

Lugs that are tapered can be removed easier than the strait ones but there is no difference in
the accuracy potential unless you remove the action a lot. then the tapered one does less damage
to the bedding.

The main thing to look for is a surface ground lug that is precise. I prefer a .200 or a .225 thick
lug because of the stock. (Any thicker and you have to remove to much stock material in the
recoil recess to make room for the heaver/thicker ones and they are not nessary because most
factory lugs are .187 and strong enough but not ground flat/true.

Some people like the .250 thick lug and that is the thickest I would use under any circumstance.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I prefer the factory lug, I just lap them to true if necessary, using a diamond flat plate. If you have an air compressor repair facility nearby, they will surface lap it for you for very little money.

which recoil lug do you guy like to use for 700 builds? I think this is the last part i need to decide on for my 6.5x47 build. I read where some like tapered lugs and some are totally against them. I would just like to get some info. To help me decide.

Thanks

factory!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.