? Recoil lug

kc

If your (hunting)Rifle did not come with a Recoil Lug and you were changing the Barrel would you have one instaled?

#1 The action is piller beded and the action is beded to the stock.
#2 The Barrel is floated from action to the end of stock.

Keith - I have some questions. First you say "did not come with a Recoil Lug". What action is this? I know of no high power bolt rifles without a recoil lug (some 22's do not have them). Are you sure you know what a recoil lug is? Even with pillars, every action should have a recoil lug. That is what prevents movement of the action backward on recoil.

Next "the action is bedded to the stock". Every action is (or should be) bedded to the stock. Do you mean the action is fiberglass bedded to the stock? If so, special treatment is available to remove the action.

Many factory recoil lugs are too thin and actually flex under recoil. This is undesirable. A heavy recoil lug is better for accuracy. Several manufacturers are out there: Holland and Tubb are two but there are others. Gene

Yes, it does. It is an integral lug. It is built into the bottom of the action. The lug is where the front action screw goes into the action.

Adding another one won't do you any good.

If your (hunting)Rifle did not come with a Recoil Lug and you were changing the Barrel would you have one instaled?

#1 The action is piller beded and the action is beded to the stock.
#2 The Barrel is floated from action to the end of stock.

Whether there is or isn't a lug doesn't really affect these questions.

Does/did the rifle shoot well? Did you shoot it enough to establish that it's a solid performer?

If it is, then I'd leave things as they are and go on with life.

If it doesn't, then perhaps it's time to investigate and make changes.

Good luck.

C

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.