Rem. 700 R5 w/AICS stock or Savage 110 BA

azpaleo

I am ready to build my first long range rifle and am contemplating a stock configuration Savage 110 BA in .300 win mag or building a Remington 700 mil-spec 5R 26" with bolt-on muzzle break and adding a classic AICS tan folding stock for around $1,200 for rifle and $700.00 for stock, $90.00 for break. The Savage is around $1,900.00.

Which one do you think would be more accurate, fun to shoot,and better all around rifle"? They are approximately the same price when it's all said and done.

Thank!

Then I guess i'll have to vote for the Savage. I have 6 of them :cool: Albeit, none of them are the BA.

In all honesty, there are going to be trade-offs either way. There isn't much in the way of upgrades with the BA; then again, what else is there to do? When side by side, both will be pretty similar; aluminum chassis, mag fed, hvy barrel.

You are going to have to upgrade the trigger on the Remington so add another $200 to that price. You'll also have to pay for the Muzzle break, add another $185 for an FTE. I don't believe the 5R comes with the upgraded bolt knob, add another $150-$200. But, there are more accessories to be had with the Remington.

Have you ever used the AICS? Some gents with big mits have issues with the thumbhole... You could always upgrade to Viper Skins, add another $150-$200.

From a price point alone, you get more with the Savage. From an upgrade/accessorize standpoint, the Remington will win. I would expect accuracy to be very close as the Mil-Spec's (gimmick) seem to have a better record of accuracy than the "off the shelf" variety of Remington.

t

Thanks, great advise. I do have large hands. Would you stay with .300 win mag or go to .338 Lapua? I don't have the time to shoot a lot and I don't reload. I have a S&W .500 magnum revolver that I almost never shoot, but when I do, I use Cor-Bon 400 grain hard cast loads which cost $5.00 a piece. I shoot 5 rounds and I'm done. But very fun so I don't regret buying the gun. Incredible blast!!!!!! So, I was thinking the same about .338 Lapua. Get some 300 grain Sellier and Bellot and shoot about 20 rounds, put her away and continue with the .308 rifles (I have 4) and enjoy the rest of the range day. Most good .300 ammo costs about $53.00 a box (match grade) and the cheapest .338 is about $72.00 a box. I did compare the size of the rounds at a gun shop. Not much difference, but you do get 1,000 more foot pounds of energy from the .338. I have never shot a .300 win mag or a .338. I'm looking for some good distance (1,200-1,500 meters), but I currently don't shoot nearly that far. Am I over-thinking the .338??? Do you think .300 win mag is enough fun for a casual shooter????? The .308s are very mild in recoil from my semi-autos. I think t you can convert the savage from .338 to .300 if I'm correct. I just don't want to spend all that money on a rifle and get a small upgrade from the .308. I want to have big bang fun!!!!!!! I just know that reloading will not happen for a while... I guess a lot of guys have this really nice dilemma. Thanks!!

I would stick with the 300 if you are merely punching paper to 1500, if you think you will want more than a mile, I believe the 338 would make life easier. Now if you want to be able to say that you have a 338 Lap, and I mean no disrespect, then the clear choice is the 338. I enjoy shooting the 300, but I do handload, mine has seen exactly 40 rounds of factory ammunition, and for my goal of shooting a grand, it is near perfect.

Then I guess i'll have to vote for the Savage. I have 6 of them :cool: Albeit, none of them are the BA.
Well, if we're getting technical, I honestly don't even have a count on how many 700's I have. I was just counting the 2 rifles that I do have that are exactly like the one in his original question... :cool:

Also, you don't HAVE to do anything to the Remington... I have replaced the triggers in Both of mine, but it was shooting 1/4 MOA groups with an adjusted crappy X-Mark Pro trigger...

Yes, yes. I know you're a remington supporter. I don't care.

Obviously we have a different opinion of what one has to do to a rifle. If I look at it your way, I guess I don't HAVE to have a job either. As far as Remington triggers go, I HAVE to replace them as they are GARBAGE. Most of us do not cut corners on cost & will not have sub-par equipment on custom rifle.

Here's a little something I saved from our forum:

"Some of us playingthis game are not willing to settle for second best, and are willing to pay forthe best engineered equipment available."
--Joel Russo

t

Yes, yes. I know you're a remington supporter. I don't care.

Obviously we have a different opinion of what one has to do to a rifle. If I look at it your way, I guess I don't HAVE to have a job either. As far as Remington triggers go, I HAVE to replace them as they are GARBAGE. Most of us do not cut corners on cost & will not have sub-par equipment on custom rifle.

Here's a little something I saved from our forum:

"Some of us playingthis game are not willing to settle for second best, and are willing to pay forthe best engineered equipment available."
--Joel Russo

t

Sub-par equipment? Man...I guess my semi-customs are sub-par....Those 1/8-1/4 MOA groups are junk, just like my all my rifles, right? Cause they don't say "Savage" on the side of them? But I guess if my favorite rifle brand ripped off about 85% of a more renowned company's design, it would be a sensitive subject for me, too...

P320 Entry: Why the Remington 700 is Still the Best Bolt Gun - The Truth About Guns

I guess we can't all be rich like you. Some of us learn to make do with what he have...Therefore we make what we have, do.

Mud if Remington isn't paying you they should be. You probably sell more of their rifles than their top salesman. Your passion for the 700 is second to none, which is understandable with all the good luck you have had with Remington.

The 300 win is more pleasurable rifle to shoot all day than the 338, and it is also more economical. The 338 just has the cool factor. (Longest kill shot ever made by a sniper) The 300 win will blow the doors off a 308 but if it were me I would go 338.

Either the Remington or the Savage will serve your needs. The Remington needs a new trigger and there are a lot of aftermarket parts for the Remington. To me the Remington is a smoother action and has a more appealing look than the Savage. The Savage has more flexibility to change calibers if that interests you. You will also be able to get the savage in any similar configuration for cheaper than the Remington.

Sub-par equipment? Man...I guess my semi-customs are sub-par....Those 1/8-1/4 MOA groups are junk, just like my all my rifles, right? Cause they don't say "Savage" on the side of them? But I guess if my favorite rifle brand ripped off about 85% of a more renowned company's design, it would be a sensitive subject for me, too...

P320 Entry: Why the Remington 700 is Still the Best Bolt Gun - The Truth About Guns

I guess we can't all be rich like you. Some of us learn to make do with what he have...Therefore we make what we have, do.

Yes, I believe factory Remington triggers are sub-par. I said nothing of your equipment or choices, only my take on the situation. Unlike some here, I am not a supporter or blind follower of any brand. The OP asked about two rifles & I provided actually thought & fact to the discussion.

Please, feel free to jump up & down, holler from the roof tops if you wish. I promise you, I will lose no sleep tonight. You know nothing of my financial situation, as always; Assumption is the mother of all *#ck-ups...

I'd like to tell you that I live a comfortable life however, that is none of your business.

t

Mud if Remington isn't paying you they should be. You probably sell more of their rifles than their top salesman. Your passion for the 700 is second to none, which is understandable with all the good luck you have had with Remington.

The 300 win is more pleasurable rifle to shoot all day than the 338, and it is also more economical. The 338 just has the cool factor. (Longest kill shot ever made by a sniper) The 300 win will blow the doors off a 308 but if it were me I would go 338.

Either the Remington or the Savage will serve your needs. The Remington needs a new trigger and there are a lot of aftermarket parts for the Remington. To me the Remington is a smoother action and has a more appealing look than the Savage. The Savage has more flexibility to change calibers if that interests you. You will also be able to get the savage in any similar configuration for cheaper than the Remington.

Thanks, I just know what works for me and never failed me. I don't try to sell Remingtons, I just get tired of hearing all the BS about them. So I try to make folks aware of the TRUTH about them, instead of all internet BS and propaganda. You hear a lot more people b****ing about the ones that don't shoot, compared to the ones who are praising the rifles that do.

Yes, the Remingtons do all need new triggers thanks to all those lawsuits, they have now made them semi-idiot proof, but now they're also (IMO) user-proof, too. They're just trashcan fodder and should be replaced. Unless you're used to using a Mosin Nagant, the triggers feel like a tree limb breaking.

I applaud people's passion for the Savages, but don't go around saying one rifle is junk, and "NEEDS" blah blah blah to make it shoot, just because it's not your favorite brand. Last time I checked none of the Savages come bedded from the factory either, so both brands will need that to ensure the action is properly seated. I hate the Accutrigger, so IMO, both brands need the new triggers immediately, too. Both brands will need to be sure the barrels are floated. And both will require handloads to get the very best accuracy out of either of them. Every brand has lemons, every brand has shooters. Nobody makes a truly perfect "out of the box" rifle. The closest I've ever owned to a perfect out of the box rifle was my 2 Browning A-Bolt II's. The first got stolen, the 2nd the barrel got shot-out, so I had to put a new one on it, and had it all refitted and trued while the tube was off. Browning A-Bolt rifles came bedded from the factory to ensure accuracy. Which is why the Brownings shoot so well, even in the cheap rubbermade stocks. The 3-lug design is also nice, and the actions are very smooth and refined. The 60* bolt throw is also extremely nice. The Remingtons are not 100% perfect IMO, there is some things I'd change, like that really high bolt throw that pushes your thumb into the scope rings. I would change that for sure. And I'd also do something about their factory offered triggers, and try to find a better solution to those horrific XMP's they are so fond of...

So, while people are complaining how much work the Remingtons need to make them shoot, the Savages are in the identical situation. Just a different name brand on the side of the action...

Thanks for the info everyone! I wish I could hold the Savage 110 BA in person. I do have a Savage 10 FCP McMillan .308 with the 26" barrel. It is a great rifle. I want something a little crazy but can't afford a 50 BMG. I'm afraid that if I went the Remington way and spent about $2,500 on modifying a 5R mil-spec with custom stock, muzzle break, trigger, extra mag, etc.... It will be more like what I already have with a little more kick........ I have built a match grade MK14 Mod 0(M-14 with Sage EBR stock and with match parts and custom scope mount), have an Armalite ar-10 with SIR rail system, LMT MWS .308, and the Savage 10 FCP McMillan. They are all about .75 moa except the Savage which is a bit better. I guess I just want a big thumper gun, but man, those ,338 rounds are expensive!!!!! 50 BMG ammo can be had much cheaper(mil surplus ball) for plinking rounds, but even the BMG ar upper starts at the same cost as the Savage 110 BA before you add the cost of the lower- not including scope (if I wanted to build a low cost 50 BMG). I guess what I am saying is that I have never shot anything stronger that .308 and don't want something that overlaps in performance. I know I'm all over the map here. Maybe I should just make a decision and be happy with it......

Yeahhhhhhh...... .338 would definitely be fun....... the first time out........ Then after I have shot a few rounds and say,,,,,,, ok...... that was cool........ then what?....... It's not like I can stock up on ammo. I think I am answering my own question here..... Don't buy on impulse......

It's kind of like the motorcycle I bought..... had to have it...... 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R. Fastest production motorcycle..... paid cash........ Spent a lot of nights watching "Worlds Fastest Indian" re-runs........ Took her out once out to 180 mph (closed course!!), and said..... WOW! FAST!!! now what.... It wasn't really that much fun after all. Was WAYYYY too easy. Didn't even feel that fast. Now she just sits in the garage. I have felt more "fun" going slower on a slower bike out to like 120 mph at redline with no fairing...

I may have more fun with a .300 win mag overall............ weekend shooting, not once every three months when I can afford the ammo like the .338 LM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts