Rem 700 J-lock and inconsistant trigger pull?

Duff

I'm trying to adjust the trigger on a newer (never fired) ADL .270 and it is equipped with a j-lock. I can't get a consistant trigger pull weight. I have done several Rem 700 triggers and never run into this. On my RCBS trigger scale, I get between 2.5-4.25 lbs. Is this caused by the j-lock or something else? thanks-Duff

All of my Remington's have new striker assemblies, and one of the reasons is the one you mentioned. A riflesmith suggested that those J-lock systems and the new firing pin cause problems not only with trigger pull but also lock time. Apparently the new firing pin is hour glass shaped and with the new spring, it rubs the inside surface of the bolt asymmetrically.

My suggestion is that which echos most riflesmiths: replace your bolt shroud, firing pin, and spring. It is cheap and worth the effort.

I have the riflesmith get them from whomever they are used to doing business with. Brownells carries them I believe.

Kirby Allen can do it. He replaced it on my 270 AM he built.

Cost is around $65-75 I think, but with the replacement striker kits, I've never had a problem, either with factory trigger worked to 2# or replaced with a Jewel. I have no personal experience with Rifle Basix but after some research and a few questions to those that use them, it is a good and reliable trigger.

If you want to get fancy, you can contact Lex Webernick at Rifles Inc and get one of his octagon shaped bolt shrouds. They are visually appealing but serve as no superior function to the firearm over any other standard replacement kit.

brownells, midway both have them, you will need a special tool for removal of the firing pin. also in brownells

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.