J-lock alternatives??

sakofan

I have always read that Remington's J-locks are evil. Why is this exactly? Slower lock times?

Is there a aftermarket alternative to the dreaded Remington J-lock??...TIA.....sakofan....

Sakofan,

I use the Gre-Tan replacement striker assembly on all of my custom rifle. The biggest problem I have with the J-Lock assembles is the spring fit inside the bolt body is terrible. I personally feel this poorly fitted spring rubs the bolt body when the striker falls and creates uneven vibration patterns in the bolt body from shot to shot.

This striker assembly also has a heavier spring and lighter firing pin to decrease lock time significantly over the factory assembly.

Just what I use, and it has worked well. You can get them at Brownells for long and short actions, blued or stainless.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
sakofan, I'm looking for an alternative also. This may be what fiftydriver is referring to: Brownells Link
Btw, how is your VS shooting for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comment and link, Skinny.

The VS is doing fine. I had some 168gr. Hornady A-Maxs through her the other day. 5 shot groups in the 4's @ 100 yards.
Thinking of doing a bedding job on it and calling it good. I seem to still get an occasional flyer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Hows your Remmy doing??.....sakofan....

I'm dying here.... We're remodeling at work, drywall, electrical etc and haven't had much time to get a scope mounted yet. Maybe this weekend.
Did get out for bunnies last Saturday. Got one at long range with the LC Smith sweet-16 and a full choke though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FYI, brownells also offers Factory-original, firing pin assembly that eliminates the ISS bolt lock system on your current production, Remington 700 rifle to make it like they used to be. Features a blued or stainless bolt shroud with standard firing pin, cocking piece and firing pin spring. Proven factory parts provide reliable function and drop-in fit. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...NG+PIN+ASSEMBLY

If you use the factory unit without the lock, get a new heavier firing pin spring from Wolff. Better quality springs & faster lock time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

J-lock gets a lot of negative press, but here's what my y2k 700 Classic w/J-lock in .223 will do for me:

700Classic223Group.jpg

Accurate Action Gun Rifle Gunsmithing Jigs Fixtures

I got replacements for my J-locks from these guys. Very high quality product and very reasonable price.

If you pull the J lock and firing pin out you will see the spring is bent like a snakes back. That can't be helping anything. The other problem with the Jlock, and why Remy quit using them is there have been a lot of cases where the gun goes off when the safety is released. That for sure is not a good thing and reason enough for me to replace them.

I even called Remington about mine and they sent me a new one without the J key.just told the lady on the phone that it was killing my groups and that the guys told me to get one without it.so she sent me a new fireing pin setup.then took the rifel back out to the range with a load that I had already shoot with the old fireing pin that gave me a 1.5" group that turned into a .330 group.so yea the J key fireing pin setup takes away from accuracy.

I bought a replacement firing pin and shroud assembly for mine from Sinclair. I think it was a Piercision brand one.

It works very nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.