Getting rid of "J" lock?

Andy W

Getting rid of \"J\" lock?

I have two remingtons both with the "J" lock. Can I just buy as new bolt shroud and replace that, or is there more to it? I have read that the "J" lock effects the firing pin spring and I just do not like the idea. I have seen kits that replace the whole assembly but is that necessary?

Re: Getting rid of \"J\" lock?

Best way to do it is to order in a complete new striker assembly and replace the factory assembly.

You get much more then just getting rid of the J-lock shroud this way.

I recommend the GreTan match striker assembly. I have yet to have one not be a drop in fit but have heard others say there was some minor fitting required for the cocking piece to slide through the trigger housing lips. I have fitted well over 100 of these and have not had this problem but it may exist.

You also get dramatically decrease lock times and much better striker spring to bolt body fit which reduces bolt vibration when the rifle is fired. For the money the only way to go in my opinion.

Brownells has these in stock ready to ship in stainless and blued.

Kirby Allen(50)

I use the GreTan assemblies also, I agree with Kirby, that there is no reason to screw around with replacing the shroud and cocking piece when for a few dollars more you get the whole deal and more. I have filled garbage cans with those *^&^%% J Locks.

Shawn

I contacted Brownells to see if they could ship this assembly to Canada. They emailed me 3 documents that say how they cannot. I understand I need an export permit only if the item is over $100.00 How much is this worth, and do you know of any smaller shops that sell the GreTan assembly?

LD1970,
go directly to Gre-Tan your self. greg is a very nice very knowledgeable guy and by going directly to him you can get up-graded firing pin assembly's that Brownells does not carry. after seeing what a mess some of my springs looked like in my Remingtons I got new springs and firing pins for every gun I own. you can get him on the web at www.gretanrifles.com or call him at 970-353-6176
when you compare one of his assembly's to the J-lock debacle you will wonder how it ever fired before.
good luck UB

Guys,

Thanks for all if the Info. Just ordered two assemblies for both of my Remingtons direct from GreTan. Do any of you want my J lock assemblies?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.