Rem700 J-Lock?

DONTSTROKEME

What the hell is that J-lock? I always see people posting that an action is non-J-lock, is it a key system to keep from firing?

I ask because the local walmart is having a sale on 700's I guess, but they are only blued ADL. They are selling for $375 and I see actions going for that much but I wonder about this J=lock stuff.

Other than that what would be the problem with using one of those and ebaying the stock and barrel and building HS or badger bottom metal, with a good stock?

I almost bought a 7mm RM while I was there but wasn't quite sure yet.

Any ideas?

Joe Oakes

For several years, Remington sold 700s with a key lock in the bolt shroud (the part at the back end of the bolt).

People hated it, they threw away the keys, Rem constantly got calls from people that lost their key... it was a marketing disaster.

You can tell if a Rem bolt has a "J-lock", by looking on the left side of the rear of the bolt... there will be a little "J" shaped slot in it.

You can get replacement NON "J-lock" bolt shrouds from gun-smithing supply houses, like Brownell's.

The "J-lock" was discontinued two years ago.

It is unlikely that the guns you are looking at, have "J-locks"

[ QUOTE ]
Well one of them did for sure but is that a bad thing or is it just a preference?

Am I crazy for trying to buy one for a project?

Joe Oakes

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the gun is very old stock... dust the box before opening it.

If you like the gun, but it - you can get the j-lock replaced for not much.

It is more than just the J-Lock shroud that is the problem with these units, the mainspring is wadded up between the cheesy firing pin and the inside of the bolt. so you have to replace the shroud assembly (shroud, firing pin, spring and cocking piece).
UB

For wat your gonna p[ay to geta new bolt shroud you might as well pay a little bit more and replace the entire pin spring and shroud assemble with a unit from Greg Tannel , the new shroud is aluminum , the firing pin is better made and the spring fits tight to the pin to prevent binding iin the bolt body like UncleB described.

their around $50 out of Brownells.

I threw my j-lock key away the day I bought my rifle. That was 5 years ago, and I haven't had problem one. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.