Rem 700 barrel threads

Dnk9444

Years back I took my Rem 700 to a gunsmith and he rebarreled it. He told me that when he threaded it he cut the threads so that they were tight. I'm thinking of buying a prefit barrel to install. My question is will I be able to remove this and will another barrel stew into the action?

He most likely was referring to cutting the threads on the barrel to fit the action tight. If he blueprinted the action or picked the threads up and trued them up, then a prefit barrel won't work. However, if he didn't mess with the action threads than a prefit should be just fine.

Ok. He told me he tried the action. And it is a nice smooth action. I definitely wouldn't attempt to install a prefit myself then. I assume a gunsmith could still rebarrel it though?

This is a gamble, there's no telling that a pre-fit is going to screw in.
Remington's were previously not known to be very good at accepting different barrels, headspace was off, lug abutments weren't square and so on and so forth.
I would buy a barrel blank and have the smith fit it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Years back I took my Rem 700 to a gunsmith and he rebarreled it. He told me that when he threaded it he cut the threads so that they were tight. I'm thinking of buying a prefit barrel to install. My question is will I be able to remove this and will another barrel stew into the action?
Without having the assembly in hand, anything is just a guess. "He cut the threads so that were tight". How tight? Tight enough that to screw the barrel and action together you couldn't do it by hand, without the use of a tool?

"Tight" threads can be detrimental if either (or both) internal or external threads are not perfectly concentric.
The threads do not align the parts- the receiver face and barrel shoulder ensure perfect alignment.
If you have "tight" threads and the receiver internal threads are not perfectly concentric it's conceivable the shoulders will not be able to correct the misalignment. Like Shortgrass said, it should be a smooth, easy to turn by hand fitment- with very little play.

Anyway, since that wasn't really your question :)
The answer is yes- you should be able to use a nutted prefit assuming the smith didn't mess with the internal receiver threads.

I have called a couple barrel makers about that as I have a blueprinted R700 SA and plan at some point to rebarrel with the barrel nut if I can ever settle on what I want to run. They said just let them know what the oversize is when the barrel is ordered. Or send the old barrel to them.

You need to have the same gunsmith or another gunsmith do the fitting for either barrel as hopefully the " tight threads " does not refer to the threads gauling into the receiver. You may want to contact the original gunsmith and just ask about replacing the barrel with either prefit or just barrel blank ( barrel blank gets my vote ).