Rem 700 Actions

Curly

How many lengths are there ? Iwas thinking 3. Short , long and Magnum. The .270, .280 and 30-06 are on the Long but would they be better built on a slightly longer action for hunting? I have a 6mm and wish it was slightly longer as I do with the Classic swift I have.Are there any things that can be done to utilize these cartridges to their potential[the .220 Swift, the 6MM REm and the .270]

How many lengths are there ? Iwas thinking 3. Short , long and Magnum. The .270, .280 and 30-06 are on the Long but would they be better built on a slightly longer action for hunting? I have a 6mm and wish it was slightly longer as I do with the Classic swift I have.Are there any things that can be done to utilize these cartridges to their potential[the .220 Swift, the 6MM REm and the .270]

Actually there is only 2 actions.

Short and long.

There are different bolt faces for 223, 308, 30-06, 300 WM, ETC, ETC, ETC.

30-06, 270, 300 WM, 7mmRM are all long the same long action, just with different bolt faces.

223 and 308 are both short actions, with different bolt faces.
Longer is not better. In fact some would say shorter is better. there are different reasons. Less to flex?, shorter action is easier to cycle in a repeater.

I would also add that the Long Magnum Cartridges, like the Remington Ultra Mag case or anything of the .375 H&H Magnum Family are the Same Long action as a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag, etc, they have diffrent magazines that are longer and the bottoms of the receivers are milled out more to facilitate feeding for the longer and sometimes larger diameter cases.

Dan

Can the short actions be milled out any to use the full capabilities of say the 6mm in the gun with proper bullet seatin ? To get my gun shooting I have to seat bullets too long to get into the mag now. I need maybe .125" more to feed proper.

I hadn't thought of that before, It would seem possible. I would post that question to the guys on the Gunsmithing page. I know that the biggest diffrence between the Model 7 Vs the 700 Short action is that the trigger group is right up against the Magazine and the overall length is shorter with the primary diffrence being the back portion of the reciever.

Again it seems do-able, but you'd have to have the magazine lengthened, and the feed ramp reworked. If it's a Adl, the middle screw might get in the way and then the follower might be too short.

That's all I can think of right now....

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.