Rem 700 .270 WIN

Bowhunter2k9

Hey guys, just starting getting into the long range scene. I am interested in getting a 20 MOA base for my rem 700. I was wondering if you guys thought i would even need it. I just got a "budget scope" that has 63 MOA total elevation travel. I want to be able to touch 1000 eventually, so....

Do I need the 20 MOA or do I stick with a 0 MOA or maybe a 15 MOA base?

Have you sighted it in yet? If so, how many MOA do you have down and how many up? That should help you decide. You will also want to plug your ballistics numbers into a ballistics calculator and see how many MOA you will need to reach 1,000 yards.

Have you sighted it in yet? If so, how many MOA do you have down and how many up? That should help you decide. You will also want to plug your ballistics numbers into a ballistics calculator and see how many MOA you will need to reach 1,000 yards.

This is what I did for my .308. I bought a 20MOA and couldn't even sight in @ 100 b/c I ran outof top elevation. I bought a 0 MOA and it tops out the elevation about perfectly for me to 0 at 100 yards, so that leaves my drop adjustment at ****-near the entire amount of adjustment of elevation travel. I could shoot WAY on out there if I wanted to

b urris zee rings are cheaper and you can do 5 10 20 ect, in any direction.how does the .270 shoot right now at 200???

I would start with standard bases and rings.
I have 2 Remington 700s. A standard BDL with a Leupold VX-II and Sendero with a VX-III. Both are mounted with standard Leupold bases and rings. I get plenty of travel with both of them. If you try that first you should be able to get enough travel with them.

My chart created with JBM's calculator using 150 gr Bergers in my Sendero tells me about 31 MOA at 1000 yds (haven't shot it that far yet but have the elevation travel left to do it). Maybe I just got lucky and didn't creep into the elevation IOT get it zeroed. Good luck...Shane

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.