Reloading suggestions for .338 Lapua

I am running 2800 fps confirmed by drop to 1000. 91.5 of H-1000 .040 off the lands and a cci 250 primer. I had a load with 98 grn. of RL 33 that was .020 near same velocity. Sad part is I got around 20 pounds of 33 and only 8 pounds of H-1000, So fun shooting has ended with this rifle to conserve powder. Now to my 300 win and retumbo project.

Shoot straight my friend gun)

Don

I just loaded up some 300grn SMK's on top of Retumbo starting with 89.0 ending at 91.5 to see how they do. From what I have read I think it will be a pretty good combo. I would like to try H1000 but its like trying to find chicken lips around where I live. If anyone is interested I'll post my results.

Matt

Sorry guys took this last weekend to go shoot prairie dogs, last weekend for me of the season, so didn't make it to the range to test the 300 SMK's with the Retumbo. So maybe this weekend if I don't go Bear hunting. It opens this Friday :D. I wish the range was open sooner during the summer so I could out before work, I would get a lot more range time in.

hy
today i tested a 338 Lapua mag .
Load was : 250 grain Lapua Scenar , 85 grain vithavouri N 165 , CCI large rifle Magnum primer ,
OAL = 91,5 mm
really accurate
quickload says :4136 bar 2823 f/sec
----------------------
this load seems to be on higher end of pressure
so start lower

and : 225 grain banes ttsx , 90 grains H 1000 , CCI large rifle Magnum primers ,
OAL : 89 mm
quickload tells me : 3944 bar and 2996 f/sec

4200 bar = max pressure for 338 Lapua so you can work slightly up specially if you use moly .
also very accurate and same Point of Impact at 250 m
90 grain H1000 might also work with 250 grain barnes tsx
i played bit around with quickload and it seems H1000 deliver more Speed with less pressure then Vithavouri N 165 .
brass was swiss . and my rifle is customized sako trg s
please note this loads work on my rifle but maybe not on your s .
so please start with lower loads
Elk969

IMG_1011.jpghello all
just test how it works with upload pics . i hope Image isn t too big .

Hey guys,
Sorry I have been off the grid for a few weeks. Snuck in a last chance prairie dog hunt and helped a buddy with a archery antelope hunt (his nephews bailed on him last minute) the weekend after that. That following Monday on the 10th I went in for a total knee replacement. So I'm just getting mobile again and hope to back out to the range in the next couple weekends.

OK, for all that is interested, made it to the range this weekend to do some shooting!gun)!
Rifle is a Savage 110 FCP .338 LM, stock barrel and brake
Vortex 6-24 PST FFP
300gr SMK
98 - 105 deg temps / 29.95in HG / 25% humidity
I started with 89gr of Retumbo and worked up to 91.0 with .5 gr increments. All loads were .001 jump with a COAL of 3.703
91 was the winner for my rifle with the best group of .516 and that is also where I started to get pressure signs as well, ejector marks and sticky bolt. I did bring my chrono but forgot that had lent out my sky screens to a buddy to use. So next trip this weekend I will get some velocity data as well. Interesting was with a couple of the lighter loads I would get the last two shots touching and the fist would be the flyer. I was contributing this to a cooler barrel between strings.
I will load some more this week and and play with the seating depth to try tighten up the group some and also shoot it at a longer distance as well. I really like this rifle, and it will clover leaf 225 accubonds all day so I think I can improve on the group size. I'm hoping that with a deeper seating depth I can get the pressure down some as well. I know the 105 deg temps didn't help much with that, forecast this weekend is 98-99. We will see what happens! :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I would wait for the weather to cool off a bit then go back and push the bullet back a little at a time.

The summer heat here is tough sometimes, good thing I have covered range to shoot at. We have a nice High Power range as well, sometimes hard to use on the weekends with all the different shoots that they do on it. Everything from Cowboy style stuff to belt fed matches. This is where I miss my day off during the week, which I had virtually unlimited access to a 600 meter range and hardly anyone on it during the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts