Reloading safety reminder

I store my primers and bullets on these plastic stands. Do you think they would be prone to conducting static electricity and do you think spraying them down occasionally with static guard or the like would be a good idea?

That looks painful and sure hope he heals up fine.
Plastic can conduct static electricity.

Wow, I have never seen this type of accident before. I have read all the warnings about priming and how certain brands shouldn't be used with some manufacturers priming tools but this serves as a solid warning about primers and priming operations in general.
I have always used a Lee Auto Prime hand primer up until recently. I went with the Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seater Hand Primer about a year ago and am not as pleased with it as I'd like to be.
In an effort to find an even better priming method, not necessarily faster, just a better "feel", I recommissioned my Dad's old RCBS RS press. It uses the large and small primer tubes but Dad never had or used them as far as I can remember. I bought the necessary accessories to operate it as RCBS intended.

IMG_0296.jpg

Guess I need to give some respect where respect is due. Thanks for the heads up and I really hope this guys recovers fully. I can imagine the throbbing pain! Ya'll be safe!

I am not buying that static electricity caused that.I think somehow operator error was involved .I have a Dillon 550 D with primer tubes.I have about 10 small primer tubes and the same large.I blow them out with an air nozzle before each fill up. I go through lots of ammo.I have never heard or seen anything like this happening using a Dillon press.

I would never use a tube feed primer tool. The thought of those unseparated primers stacked on top of each other scares me - chain reaction. I use a cheap press mounted Lee priming tool, one primer at a time. I might guess that a combo of primer dust & static caused the blast.

Looking at those pics will make for increased safety proceedures. LIke make sure my body is grounded, when priming tight primer pockets cover case with draped rubber car mat. when unpriming live primers use the car mat.

I notice that hand type priming tools have a gate between the primer tray & shell holder/ram to prevent chain reactions.

Seeing the pic of a primer detonation inside a contaner having individual primer pockets has me concerned. Possibly radio frequency (RF),emissions, doubt a cell phone would do that?

Within the next 10 minutes my primer stash will be separated - no more than 1000 per space.

Lead styphnate, the stuff in primers, is an explosive. If it gets wet than dries out it is still an explosive.

I might guess that Federal primers are packaged to better resist chain reaction blasts.

Last edited:
Wow that left thumb looks gnarly, that's guna throb like hell if it's below heart level. Been loading since the late 80's, watch my dad use one of the Lee Classic reloaders for 357 in the 70's at the kitchen table where everything is done with a hammer, heard a few pops. I personally have never had on go off. When I used a single stage I would prime with a hand primer. When my Dillon 550 primer slide gets really dirty it will get hurky jerkey and sometime a primer will flip upside down or sideways, thinking it was just a tight pocket seated it that way, yes even sideways/upside down, NEVER had one go off. Even using a sizer die to remove them, the upside down ones I reused. Priming is such a "by feel" thing, got to be careful. I feel it has to be static...based on my mistakes yet never having had on ego off.

Maybe he somehow had a primer down in female part that the tube goes into and he was cramming it down in there? Or he was jamming it in with the keeper pin in there and it became mangled and touched one off. I too want to know how this happened so I can avoid that. If he was operating the tool there is no way both hands would be so mangled like that. Had to be while loading it.
We all want to know, that really sucks, bet he'll be a little shelled shocked next time he loads some up,

The pictures are ,,,,,,well , heard of this happing to another guy one time, he thought that a little, like very small piece of stone, pebble or something fell in to the primer button before it picked up the primer, by the button, so when he pressed it into the brass, K BOOM, he even thought it could have been part of metal that broke off someplace. why I hate those dam tubs. rather go for one at a time and take my time, fingers only grow one time.

I have a wooden bench, my Lee press is mounted on a wooden riser, but the bench sits on a carpet. How can I isolate/ground my bench/press? I have my reloading chair on a thick jigsaw puzzle like pad. I use a hand primer. Antistatic mats, grounding straps or what? I really feel for the gentleman involved, I had my left thumb almost amputated by shrapnel. It works now thanks to some great surgeons but it's only 80%, better than zero! Healing takes time both physical and mentally. My hope is this gentleman, and others, learn from his misfortune and he continues with his reloading better informed and prepared. Get well buddy, don't give up. DocB

Wow that left thumb looks gnarly, that's guna throb like hell if it's below heart level. Been loading since the late 80's, watch my dad use one of the Lee Classic reloaders for 357 in the 70's at the kitchen table where everything is done with a hammer, heard a few pops. I personally have never had on go off. When I used a single stage I would prime with a hand primer. When my Dillon 550 primer slide gets really dirty it will get hurky jerkey and sometime a primer will flip upside down or sideways, thinking it was just a tight pocket seated it that way, yes even sideways/upside down, NEVER had one go off. Even using a sizer die to remove them, the upside down ones I reused. Priming is such a "by feel" thing, got to be careful. I feel it has to be static...based on my mistakes yet never having had on ego off.
I would love to know how many people think it's a static issue, I've seen primer seaters that don't touch the center or the primer, and flat ones, boy one little piece of junk, and look out. One year I was walleye fishing, kept hearing a clicking sound, couldn't figure out where it was coming from, As in the west about 5-8 miles black clouds were heading my way and as it got darker when the boat turned towards the black clouds, I saw a long blue spark from the crank handle on my fishing reel jump to the stainless holder, it was about 1" long, and the rod was graphic fishing rod . 5 mins I was on shore.

I am not buying that static electricity caused that.I think somehow operator error was involved .I have a Dillon 550 D with primer tubes.I have about 10 small primer tubes and the same large.I blow them out with an air nozzle before each fill up. I go through lots of ammo.I have never heard or seen anything like this happening using a Dillon press.
I agree with not a static issue, something fell into the pocket or primer button I'll bet. One problem with having all those stacked above each other, people like to know more, load one up with out powder is a shell and shoot it, lots of bang there.

I found this article on Primers/Static Electricity
Good article, it answered most of my concerns regarding static electricity. While it might not have been the cause in this gentleman's misfortune, it might be for someone else. Be safe out there.

Guys I wish I had the answers to all the questions but I don't....anything other than what has been posted would be pure speculation om my part.....I will try to get more answers.....I too am curious how both hands got burned.

I quoted Muddyboots post because it has a lot of common sense value. Take from it what you will.
I've had this tool for over 30 years and the rebound is not as severe as it is portrayed. It looks like it is a concrete floor and the tool is isolated on wood in a vise. Static discharge or a reversed primer is my feeling at this time. I don't see a cartridge case anywhere so maybe just as he stated static discharge. No reason not to accept that right now. This terrible accident should make all of us revisit basic primer handling safety.

"Familiarity breeds neglect" over time and a really good reason to double check my own primer process. So how many stopped shutting off breakers to change a switch since it is "really not necessary"? Same thought process.

Good article, it answered most of my concerns regarding static electricity. While it might not have been the cause in this gentleman's misfortune, it might be for someone else. Be safe out there.
DocB I have always had a wood surface to reload on.One year during a load session I had spilled some powder on my bench and just brushed it to the side so I could finish seating my bullets and as I reached to grab another bullet my hand was close to a recessed bolt and I heard a tic and saw a small arc from my hand to the recessed bolt.Nothing more happened but with my own eyes I saw that static discharge can happen most anywhere.I now vacuum my bench top after a reloading session.
I feel like Hugnot that primer dust in a confined space (tube) set off the event