Reloading safety reminder

It was an unfortunate accident.I hope he heals fast.I would like to know what really happened.Primers are just not that easy to set off.I load most of my cartridges with an RCBS hand held loader that blocks off the rest of the primers from any detonation if one goes off while seating.I also use a Dillon 550B that uses a primer tube feed.I want to know the rest of the story.

I have been using that same set up for over 30 years and never have had a problem. I would like to know how it happened? I am not criticizing but how did he burn both hands ? One hand needs to push the handle down to put any kind of pressure on the primer. If a primer went off while seating it the sparks would go through an empty case while the tube is out of the way. How a primer went off inside the tube with enough pressure to do that while both ends of the tube are open ? Hope he gets better and please let us know how it happened so others don't make the mistake
The OP said that the guy this happened to said he thought it may have been caused by static electricity. That makes me wonder if he was even trying to seat a primer when it went off. He may just reached up to adjust something with both hands when the detonation occurred. The fact that he limited it down to that cause leads me to believe he wasn't working the press at the time, because if he was in the middle of priming a case then a mechanical reason would be the likely cause.

We all would like to know more about what he was doing when the explosion happened . I got away from that system last year because I was concerned about safety. I now have a Lee bench mount priming tool. Is that a safe one? This post sure got my attention!!!!

I just now went to my reloading room and worked my primer cycle without any primers in the tube. I had to put both hands on the tube to pull the cotter pin out as it had too much tension on the tube to remove with one hand. I now will use a small nail or wire to hold the primers in the tube when priming my brass!

I store my primers and bullets on these plastic stands. Do you think they would be prone to conducting static electricity and do you think spraying them down occasionally with static guard or the like would be a good idea?

That looks painful and sure hope he heals up fine.
I like that setup. If I may ask, where did you get your stands?
I wonder if keeping static free dryer sheets under them would help??

I think 2 things caused this. Watch this video on how this tool functions: https://youtu.bepossibility?

Go to 00:52. See how this feeder can hammer back as it cycles. If there was a primer placed upside down exposing the primer anvil to this impact it could very easiky set off this chain reaction that caused these injuries. What do you guys think about this possability?
I've had this tool for over 30 years and the rebound is not as severe as it is portrayed. It looks like it is a concrete floor and the tool is isolated on wood in a vise. Static discharge or a reversed primer is my feeling at this time. I don't see a cartridge case anywhere so maybe just as he stated static discharge. No reason not to accept that right now. This terrible accident should make all of us revisit basic primer handling safety.

"Familiarity breeds neglect" over time and a really good reason to double check my own primer process. So how many stopped shutting off breakers to change a switch since it is "really not necessary"? Same thought process.

I'm not sure ,but one of these might work ?
4AC2BE47-6EE0-46AA-84B6-334B975709FF.png

@orkan

Please weigh in on this if you have any thoughts.

It may save someone's fingers or life.
Sorry, but I will not try to advertise our tool or gain monetarily in a thread where a guy blew up his hands with a competitors product. I "almost" posted explaining my thoughts on the incident, but I deleted it. I fully believe in the safety and value of our CPS, but this is not the time for that.

Suffice it to say, tubes aren't the problem. It's how they are used and the lack of proper cleaning/maintenance. The buildup of primer residue is real. Progressive presses have huge leverage, and the users can't feel a jam... so they blow the stack when they cut a half-dropped primer.

Then there's the "geniuses" that think they can "improve" our CPS by putting a rubber band around the shuttle, despite the fact I had a prototype with a spring return mechanism that I INTENTIONALLY OMITTED for the production models. The rubber band causes a safety issue and premature wear on our tool, and I do not approve.

I pray the guy in the original post gets healed up and is more careful in the future.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Sorry, but I will not try to advertise our tool or gain monetarily in a thread where a guy blew up his hands with a competitors product. I "almost" posted explaining my thoughts on the incident, but I deleted it. I fully believe in the safety and value of our CPS, but this is not the time for that.

Suffice it to say, tubes aren't the problem. It's how they are used and the lack of proper cleaning/maintenance. The buildup of primer residue is real. Progressive presses have huge leverage, and the users can't feel a jam... so they blow the stack when they cut a half-dropped primer.

Then there's the "geniuses" that think they can "improve" our CPS by putting a rubber band around the shuttle, despite the fact I had a prototype with a spring return mechanism that I INTENTIONALLY OMITTED for the production models. The rubber band causes a safety issue and premature wear on our tool, and I do not approve.

I pray the guy in the original post gets healed up and is more careful in the future.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The CPS is a beautifully made, quality unit. If I were a bit wealthier it's the first thing I would buy, along with an annealer, and probably an Area 419 Zero press, and relegate my "cheap" Co-ax to the back shelf. I understand that the best quality is going to demand a legitimate premium, but for $650 I'll hire an attractive young lady to prime my brass in her bikini, AND supply the primers. 😉😎

Ah, who knows? If I had saved the money I've already spent on lower quality hand and bench primers I'd probably already have a CPS half paid for! Maybe someday.

What bugs me is RCBS discontinuing the APS strip system units, which makes all the extras wasted money once those hand and bench primers need a part down the road. Well, I won't cry till I'm hurt, it's all still working now. They said they were discontinued because of poor sales only, not quality problems.

Last edited:
The CPS is a beautifully made, quality unit. If I were a bit wealthier it's the first thing I would buy, along with an annealer, and probably an Area 419 Zero press, and relegate my "cheap" Co-ax to the back shelf. I understand that the best quality is going to demand a legitimate premium, but for $650 I'll hire an attractive young lady to prime my brass in her bikini, AND supply the primers. 😉😎

Ah, who knows? If I had saved the money I've already spent on lower quality hand and bench primers I'd probably already have a CPS half paid for! Maybe someday…
Move out of california, and you'll save 10 CPS's in revenue every year.

Already sent a prayer up for the gentleman and I pray he makes a full recovery. Been reloading since 1972 and I know we can get complacent about a lot of things but please everyone don't let reloading be one of them. I load with a hand primer one at a time, with safety glasses. When I was younger I wasn't as conscience of safety, but as I grew older and hopefully wiser I developed better protocol.

Recent Posts