Lee Powder Safety Scale Questions and Concerns

Update to the thread. i

did everything you guys mentioned. only difference now, is i cant get the darn thing to zero. I'll get close to zero, and Even the slightest adjustment of the knob knocks it completely off.

Im starting to get a little bit frustrated, i have literally loaded hundreds without issues until now.

Im gonna give'r another go tonight, if not, she's goin straight in the trash :)

You might try as a last resort:

Zero knob: back it out as far as it will go, hopefully it comes all the way out. Clean the shaft of the adj. knob, blow it out with compressed air, then soak it down with something like break free and let it set over night. Clean it up tomorrow night and see what the results are and make a decision then.

I have noticed that turning the zero weight to the right, a s in bringing the beam up to zero that the weight will often back off. If you watch it very closely as you turn it it will load the spring. Not only in a compressing motion but also a circular motion and when you Let go it will actually unscrew the weigh a bit. As you give her another go watch the zero weight closely.

No problem friend. I've been using this scale for about 3 years, since I started reloading. I've already had my frustrating moments with it. These are just a few things I figured out right before I tried out some reloads on it. gun)We get along just fine now that I understand it.

Get rid of the Lee stuff and buy better quality reloading gear...unless you enjoy fiddling with the scale etc as compared to actual loading of ammo.

You wont regret better equipment

When I have the money I will buy a new scale. I just don't have the extra $100 right now and after learning how to over come this scales quirks, it does fine. I load sub half minute ammo for two guns and sub 1/4 minute for one gun with this scale. So I can't say it doesn't work.

+1. I have had to fiddle with the Lee scale as well. Once you get it figured out, I think it works well. I too have been able to get good sub min loads with different bullets.

I would be curious to weigh a charge with the Lee and then the same charge with another one side by side to see if their was a difference. If there was, who would be able to tell which was the actual correct weight.

I would be curious to see how factory "match" ammo is done in the high output fashion.

We once took Lake City "173 gr Special Ball" from the same box. The difference in bullet weight and charge weight left you wondering how it got the title "Special" anything. It still shot to a grand at man sized targets...

If it makes good loads for you and is repeatable. Inexpensive doesn't mean cheap...

Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.