N570 powder, temperature concerns

Vol1975

Never used N570 but would like peoples real world advice on this powder for accuracy and mainly temperature concerns. I hunt from 75 degrees to below zero so there is a swing in temperature. I try to test all my loads in or around 50 degree mainly for shooter comfort. if there is a large variance I can just go back to h1000 but I bought some of this powder on advice from an old friend.

same concern on reloader 26. Any advice here also

These powder are new to me and don't have a lot experience with them. Been shooting rl 26 now for a little bit and been happy with accuracy In 7mm and 06.

thanks all and happy new year

In my opinion, N 570 is a very good powder for the really big magnums. it is one of the slower burning powders and gives good velocities. It is also a little over priced in my opinion, but for the performance I will pay a little more.

As far as heat sensitivity, I have not seen it in this powder but I hold max pressures to 62,000 Psi and these characteristics show up more often when you load on the top end of the recommended pressures. Here in south Texas, we often have temperatures of 100o+ and if we load hard, many powders will appear to be somewhat heat sensitive.

The chronograph is a better tool for finding out the heat sensitivity at Lower pressures because the velocities will spike suddenly when heat sensitive powder are used at elevated temperatures. It is always best to work up with any powder and keep good records on velocity and temperatures for each load.

J E CUSTOM

In my opinion, N 570 is a very good powder for the really big magnums. it is one of the slower burning powders and gives good velocities. It is also a little over priced in my opinion, but for the performance I will pay a little more.

As far as heat sensitivity, I have not seen it in this powder but I hold max pressures to 62,000 Psi and these characteristics show up more often when you load on the top end of the recommended pressures. Here in south Texas, we often have temperatures of 100o+ and if we load hard, many powders will appear to be somewhat heat sensitive.

The chronograph is a better tool for finding out the heat sensitivity at Lower pressures because the velocities will spike suddenly when heat sensitive powder are used at elevated temperatures. It is always best to work up with any powder and keep good records on velocity and temperatures for each load.

J E CUSTOM

thanks for the reply. JE custom.

powder mainly going to be for 300's and 200 grain bullet. Hard for me to test extreme cold due to where I live in the south. If I could test the cold variation outside I would. Other than having a zip lock bag with ice in it I figure a place like this maybe somebody had already done a test outside in real conditions. 80% of the time I hunt in temps that are 30-60 degree which is not a major concern on temperature but I make a trip to the north where I've hunt in as low as -20 degree. I've read accuracy for heavier bullets is good with N570 but have not read a lot on how temperature sense with this powder is from one climate to another.

I believe Ryan Pierce had a post on here or facebook about N570 not being overly temp sensitive. I am from the south as well and have same concerns. Prior to using N570, I used Extreme Powders from Hodgdon.

thanks for the reply. JE custom.

powder mainly going to be for 300's and 200 grain bullet. Hard for me to test extreme cold due to where I live in the south. If I could test the cold variation outside I would. Other than having a zip lock bag with ice in it I figure a place like this maybe somebody had already done a test outside in real conditions. 80% of the time I hunt in temps that are 30-60 degree which is not a major concern on temperature but I make a trip to the north where I've hunt in as low as -20 degree. I've read accuracy for heavier bullets is good with N570 but have not read a lot on how temperature sense with this powder is from one climate to another.

I don't see much difference in those temperatures, but most of my hunting loads are loaded and tested in the same temperature range and it is only when I get into high temperatures that it seems to happen.

One of my best/most accurate loads uses H414 and during hunting season is extremely accurate and holds velocity to 3010 ft/sec. But I am unable to go to the range when temps are near or over 100o because the velocity in the same load goes to 3155 ft/sec and is a hard load. I just wait to verity zeros with it until temps drop into the 60s.

Cold weather doesn't have as much effect on powder except some are harder to ignite. In really cold weather I keep my ammo in my pocket just in case, so id don't have to load differently for the seasons. For the weapons I use during hot weather, I work up the loads in temps over 80o and when I see signs of pressure I back off to avoid high pressure.

I have had good luck with most extreme powders, but even some of them will sneak up on you at times and go critical.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.