Reloading safety reminder

I have been using that same set up for over 30 years and never have had a problem. I would like to know how it happened? I am not criticizing but how did he burn both hands ? One hand needs to push the handle down to put any kind of pressure on the primer. If a primer went off while seating it the sparks would go through an empty case while the tube is out of the way. How a primer went off inside the tube with enough pressure to do that while both ends of the tube are open ? Hope he gets better and please let us know how it happened so others don't make the mistake

What is that at bottom of tube? That looks like the primer seater went up into the tube. If that is the case, it could have compressed the primer column. With so many of these out there it would be a huge benefit to hear step by step how this happened cause I now have the "willies" thinking of priming brass with mine now.

was

thiThefirst

thiThe ngs happened.

su2spect

I

What is that at bottom of tube? That looks like the primer seater went up into the tube. If that is the case, it could have compressed the primer column. With so many of these out there it would be a huge benefit to hear step by step how this happened cause I now have the "willies" thinking of priming brass with mine now.

View attachment 355134

I think 2 things caused this. Watch this video on how this tool functions: https://youtu.bepossibility?

Go to 00:52. See how this feeder can hammer back as it cycles. If there was a primer placed upside down exposing the primer anvil to this impact it could very easiky set off this chain reaction that caused these injuries. What do you guys think about this possability?

Last edited:
Here's the one thing that I can't quite figure out (and admittedly I've never used this setup before so that could be the reason why). If there was a primer detonation the blast should have taken the path of least resistance which is straight out the top of the tube. The only reason it should have blown out the sides of the tube like that as if the tube was sealed somehow basically turning it into a pipe bomb. It's the same principle why powder and ammunition magazines have 8 inch thick cinder block walls and a sheet metal roof. if there is an explosion the blast will go straight up where it won't hurt anybody.

This just happened recently to a shooter near me....Pure speculation on what set the first one off, the rest went like popcorn. Be safe out there.

@orkan <<If I'm not mistaken this is one of the CPS selling points.

I'm not connected to Primal Rights in any shape form or fashion for the record.

View attachment 355123

View attachment 355124
View attachment 355125
View attachment 355126
View attachment 355127
Holy cow and happy to hear that he'll recover with no permanent damage. Just curious, have any of you had or known anyone who's had this happen with a hand priming tool?

Hand primer with translucent cover here. I rarely do over 20, but man, that's got me thinking...no more sitting on the couch loading primers. Too many distractions and probably too much static. It's back to the reloading room for me. Mostly wood construction except chair which is metal and leather.
Praying the guy has a full recovery!

Never in my reloading days have I heard of anything like this . been handloading for over 55 years and thousands and thousands of primers have been through my presses without incident. Even with the FA70 / FA 26 primers and early Bench shooters, that taught me to handload, never heard of anything like this, or at least I forgot about it ! Has anyone heard the truth behind what actually happened? This will make a lot of people unhappy for sure . Sure hope he is doing well now .

A Safety Reminder from RCBS dated 03/14/2013 says never force or pound/tap on live primers, tap or pound on loaded primer tubes or otherwise attempt to clear obstructions on your own. Doing so can cause serious injury.
If you experience a feeding problem in a primer tube, follow these steps:
1. Ensure no primers are in the white plastic pickup tip.
2. Remove the white tip with pliers.
3. If possible, carefully pour the primers out of the tube and return primers to original packaging. Do not use the tube.
4. If a stuck primer(s) remain, handle with care and take to your local hazardous waste disposal facility.
5. Replacement tubes can be purchased online at RCBS .com or through an authorized dealer. Warranty claims can be made by calling RCBS at 1-800-533-5000.

Just speculating here, but to injure both hands, I doubt he was working the press. My first reaction was he was pouring primers into the tube and one detonated. We also don't know how old they were. I've seen some lately being sold as "old new stock" and I wouldn't take them even for free. I have a friend who was cleaning out her Dad's home after he passed away. She called me after opening an old cabinet in the basement with several boxes of very old, and leaking, primers. I had her call the sheriff. The first deputy giggled at her until he looked for himself, then he called the bomb squad. They in turn. giggled at the deputy before looking, then he went back and fully suited up. I won't say why I know about contact explosives, but they can detonate under their own weight, and from the picture it appears everything in the tubes went off. He's very lucky.

I use the old RCBS APS strip hand priming tool. Not the one with the plastic tray, it feeds the plastic APS strips. I bought the priming tool, probably $100 worth of plastic strips for all primers types to last several decades, a $50 APS strip loader, and now RCBS supports none of it. They still sell the strips and strip loader, but not the hand or bench priming tools, so I'm hoping my hand unit holds out because it gives a good feel, and I don't care for priming on the press.

I bought a Lee bench prime on impulse, and found it works ok if you keep it treated with a bit of dry lube, but the plastic tray is a bit finicky sometimes.

I've had one primer explode, and put a snail track in the base of the first station on my 550, by trying to deprime a live primer. It was completely preventable, against everything the mfr says to do, and I knew better, but I hadn't seated the primer properly and by God I wanted that 7 cents worth of .45 ACP range brass!

I had gotten away with it a couple times before, but not that time. That was 20 years ago, and I left the cosmetically damaged but functional part in place on the press as a reminder not to be an idiot.

This just happened recently to a shooter near me....Pure speculation on what set the first one off, the rest went like popcorn. Be safe out there.

@orkan <<If I'm not mistaken this is one of the CPS selling points.

I'm not connected to Primal Rights in any shape form or fashion for the record.

View attachment 355123

View attachment 355124
View attachment 355125
View attachment 355126
View attachment 355127
Ever turn your lights on after wearing rubber flip flops in a dry environment? typically in winter. The build up of static electricity jumps off the tip of your finger to the switch plate attaching screw which is grounded, happens to me all winter in my house and I believe that static electricity build up caused this ignition. I wipe down my loading tools with a used bounce laundry sheet to get rid of the static electricity build up. My C-H loader came with a steel blast tube that covers the primer tube just in case this happens. Glad you survived with minimal damage !

To avoid primer feeding problems, always follow these precautions:
Before use, always inspet tube for damage on interior obstructions. Never use bent, damaged or obstructed tubes. Ensure tube is free from primer residue buildup. Periodically clean inside of tube using soap and warm water.
03/14/2013.