Reloading for Noreen BN36 gas operated 30-06

Thomas Edward

I have a Noreen BN36 AR style gas operated 30-06 rifle. I have a supply of Sierra Match King bullets in 168 gr and 190 gr. and I have AA 4350 powder, Reloader 22, and a few pounds of Vitavuori N160. I will be using Winchester LR primers and Brass. I have searched through reloading data on the web for loads using these combinations of components with the intention of determining a good starting charge for load development. My concern is that most of the load data I have encountered has been worked up in bolt action rifles. There were loads listed for the M1 Garand rifle, but I am looking to work up loadings that are more powerful given that the Noreen BN36 is a newer design and can likely tolerate higher pressures. 1) Does anyone have any experience developing loads for the Noreen BN36. 2) Because it is a semi auto should I consider that the max load I am working up to will be less than the loads listed that were developed in bolt action rifles. I found one reference where an individual who was loading for a 30-06 semi auto using Reloader 22 topped out at 58 grains because the action/cases were showing signs of stress above that. The Maximum charge of Re 22 in bolt actions was listed as 60 gr with some folks actually loading above that charge weight with no ill effects.

Not many people have noreens-- do they have any load data or a blog/forums link on their web page? I would guess you will be slightly lower than bolt action max, but not drastically less. You may just jave to start low and work in your own loads since you probably won't find too much data out there .

You might want to use "tough/thick" brass in the semi auto to help case life which will decrease your max charge too

Not many people have noreens-- do they have any load data or a blog/forums link on their web page? I would guess you will be slightly lower than bolt action max, but not drastically less. You may just jave to start low and work in your own loads since you probably won't find too much data out there .

You might want to use "tough/thick" brass in the semi auto to help case life which will decrease your max charge too
Thank you for the suggestion regarding the use of tougher thicker brass to work up loads with. I have plenty of once fired military brass. I will start with those.

I have a Noreen BN36 AR style gas operated 30-06 rifle. I have a supply of Sierra Match King bullets in 168 gr and 190 gr. and I have AA 4350 powder, Reloader 22, and a few pounds of Vitavuori N160. I will be using Winchester LR primers and Brass. I have searched through reloading data on the web for loads using these combinations of components with the intention of determining a good starting charge for load development. My concern is that most of the load data I have encountered has been worked up in bolt action rifles. There were loads listed for the M1 Garand rifle, but I am looking to work up loadings that are more powerful given that the Noreen BN36 is a newer design and can likely tolerate higher pressures. 1) Does anyone have any experience developing loads for the Noreen BN36. 2) Because it is a semi auto should I consider that the max load I am working up to will be less than the loads listed that were developed in bolt action rifles. I found one reference where an individual who was loading for a 30-06 semi auto using Reloader 22 topped out at 58 grains because the action/cases were showing signs of stress above that. The Maximum charge of Re 22 in bolt actions was listed as 60 gr with some folks actually loading above that charge weight with no ill effects.
Hmm I could be wrong but I haven't seen much load data using powder in that slow of a burn range for Garands. In any case here's some Garand load data from Hodgdons. https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/m1-final-data.pdf

As far as I know Noreens are gas impinged so you might be fine with your current loads. A call to Noreen would clear this up.

Thank you for your suggestion. Forgive my ignorance, but what are small base dies? I have been using RCBS full length resizing dies for 30-06. The dies are forty years old. Also, what is a LEE FCD?
Small Base dies are made by RCBS, and maybe some others. They size the base of the cartridge down closer to an unfired case than standard dies. Very useful in an autoloader, which is their intended purpose. The Lee FCD is a "Factory Crimp Die" It uses a collet to squeeze the neck like a factory load. Only right way to crimp IMO, and also IMO all loads for an auto like this should be crimped.

Hmm I could be wrong but I haven't seen much load data using powder in that slow of a burn range for Garands. In any case here's some Garand load data from Hodgdons. https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/m1-final-data.pdf

As far as I know Noreens are gas impinged so you might be fine with your current loads. A call to Noreen would clear this up.
Thank you for your suggestion. I have a pound of IMR 4064 that I could use in this process as well. I have added the pdf you linked to my reloading files.

Small Base dies are made by RCBS, and maybe some others. They size the base of the cartridge down closer to an unfired case than standard dies. Very useful in an autoloader, which is their intended purpose. The Lee FCD is a "Factory Crimp Die" It uses a collet to squeeze the neck like a factory load. Only right way to crimp IMO, and also IMO all loads for an auto like this should be crimped.
Thanks again. I will look at these items you suggested on the web.

One very general answer. I generally do not approach bolt action loads in my semi auto's. Catastrophic failures on AR type rifles are not pretty.

You will have to stay close to factory loads in both burn rate and pressure for the gas gun to function properly unless it has an adjustable gas block. Don't know if yours does. 4064 should be a good choice to start with. So should 4350. I always shot 4831 and MRP in my bolt gun.

One very general answer. I generally do not approach bolt action loads in my semi auto's. Catastrophic failures on AR type rifles are not pretty.
That appears to be the concensus. The one reference I found was someone working up loads in a Remington 742 semi auto rifle. He was loading 180 gr bullets with Reloader 22 and he began to notice signs of stress at 58.5 grains. I believe I will start a full 10 percent below the listed maximum weights for the powders I have and work up from there.

That appears to be the concensus. The one reference I found was someone working up loads in a Remington 742 semi auto rifle. He was loading 180 gr bullets with Reloader 22 and he began to notice signs of stress at 58.5 grains. I believe I will start a full 10 percent below the listed maximum weights for the powders I have and work up from there.
If you can your hands on some H4895 I believe you'll be able to work up some good loads with the 168gr bullets. Small base dies can good good but on my AR15's regular dies work just fine. So if you have some 30-06 dies you could try them first for function.

You will have to stay close to factory loads in both burn rate and pressure for the gas gun to function properly unless it has an adjustable gas block. Don't know if yours does. 4064 should be a good choice to start with. So should 4350. I always shot 4831 and MRP in my bolt gun.
The Noreen BN36 does have an adjustable gas block. I adjusted it for the 150gr military ammo I fired through it. I have not found any reloading references on Noreen's website, so perhaps a phone call will yeild some references. They have been helpful in the past.