reloading 30-378, I need advice from Spain

Padmi

Hi again guys,

You helped me a lot when you guys recommended me the berbara hmr 6.5 creedmoor. Now, I am looking to reaload a Weatherby Mark V CAL 30-378 WBY.

The prupose is hunting, I would like to use hunting tips and here in Spain, this cartridge is not common. Nobody can help me here.

Do you guys have experience reloading the 30-378? which tip, maybe tangent nossler or sierra bullets. And also I don't know which velocity I should get. Here in Spain is common using RS or Vihtavuori powders.

The goal will be hunting out to 1000 yards

thanks a lot for your help, and be safe there in the US. I had a trip planned to be there again on September, but this year won't be possible due the Covid.

thanks a lot!!

In this cartridge you need to stick to good controlled expansion bullets like the Nosler Part, Barnes or the like. I use the 200 gr Nosler Part in mine. With this bullet (200grs) you should expect around 3200 ft/sec and somewhere north of 3400 ft/sec with the 180 gr class of bullet from a 26" barrel. Never used the powders you posted. I use H-870 in mine, but Norma 217, Alliant RL-33, H50 BMG, Retumbo and powders in this burn range will do a good job. My advice on primers is use the Federal 215 as I have had trouble with several other primers due, I believe, to the size of the case. I have always only used Weatherby cases and have gotten good case life with a properly adjusted sizing die. JME
I have also read that many users have had good success with the 215 Berger and H-1000.

210 and 215 Berger with H1000 or Retumbo. My 30/378 is an oddball, best accuracy with 210 Berger and Retumbo. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.