I need Expert Advice reloading 300 WSM

I run my 300wsm on a long action Remington with 215 Bergers at 2950fps using R-26 and a COAL of just under 3.2". It shoots in the .2's at 100yds. I killed 2 elk and a antelope with it so far this year and I still have another elk tag to go. I already have the parts to build one on a short action with a COAL of about 3.1" to make a lighter backpack gun. If I didn't already have that action I probably would of built it on a Tikka.

Idaho, how is your brass holding up?

I'm running 215s over R26 in a factory Savage short action and I'm starting to see loose primer pockets at 7 reloads. Win brass. I'm happy with it and have more cases waiting to be used once I kill off this set of 100. I'm running 2840fps out of a 26" barrel. The R26 and 215 combo is lights out though...1/2 MOA or better until I screw it up.

For the OP, I'd recommend shooting a heavier bullet than the 168, but that's just me. I like the big heavy ones. I started shooting 130gr Barnes X bullets at 3500fps(and 150 NBT, 165 NBT, 180 Accubond)in mine and I have no intention of going back to anything below 200gr. I have a 1:10 twist though, that may limit what bullet you shoot. Even though there is a member on this sight shooting the 215s out of a 1:11 Tikka IIRC.

The primer pockets have loosened a bit at 5 firings but I should get 7 too. I have about 600 rounds of brass so I'm not worried about brass life too much. That should wear out both barrels.

I have a Sako 75 300WSM with 1:11 twist. This was the first rifle that I started reloading since Winchester wasn't producing any 180gr Accubonds at the time and my rifle loved that round. I found a submoa load pretty quickly and it's my go to load. When Hornady came out with their ELD-X, I played around with them and found another submoa load.
Both loads listed use Nosler brass and WLRM primers and speeds verified with MagnettoSpeed chrono
180gr Accubond or Ballistic Tip, 65.5gr HV100, 3054 fps, 2.860" COAL
200gr ELD-X, 62.8gr RL-17, 2952 fps, 2.855 COAL

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.