Reloading for 30-30 Win - need advice

I'm about to load for 30-30 Win for the first time. All of my previous (30+ years) has been on the 25-06/270/30-06 platform - where I got very good at reading pressure signs (ejector marks, primer flattening /cratering, etc.). However all of these are 60kpsi plus cartridges.

When is comes to 30-30 Win out of a lever gun, what should I expect to see? I'm using the exact same LRP primers, so I'm not sure how a load that is hot for the 30-30 (I.e. > 42kpsi) is going to show pressures on the primers when these would be an extremely light load in the above mentioned cases.

Any advice welcome.

I'll be using H4895 and 150 and 160 gr bullets.
Did not read all the answers but I can give you one piece of advice. I am a lefty, I like levers and load for a number of them. DO NOT push the pressure envelope on levers. Even if you don't damage or stretch anything, sticking a case is going to be really expensive to fix. You will not see pressure signs before you stick a case. If you want more speed, get something other than a 30-30, 32 Special or 45-70. Load them to their mid range posted loads with good accuracy and call it a day. Buy the powder that gives you the most speed with the bullet weight you want to use, at the lowest pressure. That is usually Varget, 3031 or H100V depending on bullet weight. I have not tried the new Leverlution powder but by all accounts it will give much better velocity with safe pressures.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.