Reloading 270?

Is the 4831 temp stable and fast?
270 is my fav cartridge in general and I load for 4 rifles. You should really consider barnes 110 ttsx. I have a load I shoot out of my weatherby vanguard that is at 3200 fps out of a 24" barrel with max charge of H4831. Bullet is ~0.010" off the rifling. Would be perfect for both groundhogs and deer. Have also had good success with 130 speer btsp, 129 barnes lrx in the various rifles. Primers are CCI 200.

For what you are doing I'd go with a 130gr Hornady SST or 130gr Nosler Ballistic tip or accubond. The best powder for that weight bullet will be H4350 and Federal 210match primers are always my go to in every non magnum application.

For what you are doing I'd go with a 130gr Hornady SST or 130gr Nosler Ballistic tip or accubond. The best powder for that weight bullet will be H4350 and Federal 210match primers are always my go to in every non magnum application.
I've got nosler ballistic tip 130 to play around with until the hammers get here.

Swapping over to try 130gn accubonds next yr. Wasn't happy with the non-exiting type of bullets this last trip.

bc probably doesn't matter as much since where I hunt I can't shoot past maybe 400 yrds. I prefer a somewhat light bullet at a fast speed but not so light that I don't get exit. An exit is important to me because I don't do shoulder shots because of meat damage. I go for heart/lung or if within 100 yrds I go for a neck shot just beneath the head. I do like a bullet with nice expansion into a beautiful mushroom. I'm not really into fragmenting stuff. A few fragments is ok I guess but prefer not.
The Ballistic Tip 130gr should exit with the double lung shot you described. I've done shoulder shots with 30-06 using 165gr Ballistic Tips on whitetails and mule deer and had them exit. H4831 is an "Extreme" series powder so it is temp stable. But they will change pressures over the temp range you described, just less than "standard" powders. Nosler's 5th Ed. load (270 win) with the 130gr BT is Winchester case, Fed 210 primer, H4831sc start load 55gr which was their most accurate load to 59gr max load.

The Ballistic Tip 130gr should exit with the double lung shot you described. I've done shoulder shots with 30-06 using 165gr Ballistic Tips on whitetails and mule deer and had them exit. H4831 is an "Extreme" series powder so it is temp stable. But they will change pressures over the temp range you described, just less than "standard" powders. Nosler's 5th Ed. load (270 win) with the 130gr BT is Winchester case, Fed 210 primer, H4831sc start load 55gr which was their most accurate load to 59gr max load.
I agree with the BT bullet and the IMR powder.My daughter's 700 Remington would one hole 5 shot's at 100 yards all day with 60 grs of the IMR 4831.That is her shooting not me

Here's my vote, 130 Hornady Spire point on top of a top load of IMR 4350. I know boring but has never come close to failing me. Used it in all temperatures and never noticed anything different other than I was either cold, hot or just fine. I also like the 150 gr. Ballistic tips, the 130/140/150 grain Nosler partitions. If you end up wanting a bit less penetration the 130 gr. Sierra Gameking is super accurate in either of my 270 rifles and really drops deer. For the heavier bullets I am still working to use up my Reloder 22 powder and I like to use magnum primers if I am going to hunt in truly cold weather.

Right now I have some 117 gr. Sledgehammers from Steve at hammer bullets. If the rain would stop and give me a chance to shoot them maybe I would get somewhere with my load workup.

129 lrx with r17 is just plain mean on critters at the ranges you mention. Probably near the top for velocity with a 130 grn bullet. However not particularly temp stable.

129 lrx with r17 is just plain mean on critters at the ranges you mention. Probably near the top for velocity with a 130 grn bullet. However not particularly temp stable.
Rl16 if definitely worth looking at as a substitute for 17. Very temp stable.

Steve

Daddy likes the consistency of IMR4350 across the board, from 257Roberts to all of my WSMs. For 270Win, my proven load is:

Either 130gn Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX
54.0gn IMR4350
CCI 200 primer (CCI primers, like their ammo, are very clean and consistent)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.