Reloading 270?

Vortex!

I'm completely new to reloading so I thought I'd ask those of you who know what you are doing for some insight. I got a Lee classic loader so I have that. Now I'm trying to figure out what bullet and powder to use. The rifle I'm planning to load for is a Thompson Center Compass chambered in 270 win. It has 1:10 twist, 22 inch barrel, 5r rifling. I put a vg6 gamma precision muzzle brake on it too. The pic is before the brake.
IMG_20180731_173118846.jpg

bc probably doesn't matter as much since where I hunt I can't shoot past maybe 400 yrds. I prefer a somewhat light bullet at a fast speed but not so light that I don't get exit. An exit is important to me because I don't do shoulder shots because of meat damage. I go for heart/lung or if within 100 yrds I go for a neck shot just beneath the head. I do like a bullet with nice expansion into a beautiful mushroom. I'm not really into fragmenting stuff. A few fragments is ok I guess but prefer not.

Nice looking rifle. Whatcha plan on doing with the rifle? Hunting, putting holes in paper?. Most won't argue that the 130gn bullet and H-4831 is the way to go for the 270. My favorite caliber btw.

Sorry forgot that detail.:confused: I hunt whitetail deer mostly maybe shoot a few groundhogs. I have other guns for hoghunting. It's my favorite too.:D

Last edited:
Reloader 23 is noted as a temp stable powder.
As far as primers i use cci. There will be others weigh in so you probably will hear of several favorites. I have had more remington to snap, than any other brand. If you use your gun in cold weather, maybe you might want a magnum primer.
Btw remington is the only ones i have ever had to snap

Last edited:
Alliant's website shows data for the 150 grain bullet only. But it should be ok for 130 with a slight increase in powder charge. One thing i can't stress enough, get you a good reloading manual. Read it and you will learn a lot before ever loading.

Hammer Hunter 117
H4350 @ 59.0 grains
F210M primers

3300fps
0.786 inches at 200 (!) yards from a factory rifle.

Deadly on antelope, with pass throughs and 1-shot kills every time.

Work up to this load, as it was getting near the max in this rifle, and I use a chronograph to watch it.

In my experience, almost anything you load in a Hammer will shoot better than you can. I tested 3 powders and this one worked the best for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.