Reloading 101 - info please

Thanks guys. I'm making a list of books and have been spending some time on YouTube vids. I'm a few months away from investing on equipment so I want to get some knowledge before I start spending more money. You'll gave me some good info and starting points and I appreciate it.
First, don't be overwhelmed by the advanced details, ie worrying about bullet seating depth (jump), CBTO, annealing, precise bullet alignment. (There is a lot of discussion on this forum that is extremely advanced, by people pursuing accuracy for very long distance target shooting and hunting.) Just follow the basic steps in a manual or book, and never get in a rush or distracted. SAFETY FIRST, means paying total attention to the process.

You can be busy with your career and raising kids, AND reload. Just set aside a couple hours at a time (such as after the kids go to bed) to work on reloading. This means you will only accomplish one or two steps per session, so you do need to have a written step-by-step procedure for each batch of ammo, and check off which step you have completed during each session. Furthermore, since I have different batches in process at the same time, I have a small post-it note that stays with each case tray, to indicate which batch is in that tray.

Before starting to buy equipment, be honest and ask yourself if this is REALLY something you are sure you want to pursue. If not, don't buy the most advanced equipment at the outset. Also, a lot of reloaders have updated their equipment and will sell (or give) you equipment that they have replaced, but which is still in perfect operating condition.

Do locate someone to talk to and watch, as they perform the process.
Good luck, have fun, and remember, on this forum, there are no stupid questions.

Gee guys your getting me nervous about this.... haha.... but in all seriousness this is something o have been thinking about for years. Maybe I do have to really think about everything I have going on in my life. I totally understand the fact that I need piece a d quiet and with 3 kids running around the house maybe NOW might not be the best time to start this new hobby.

when factory ammo is available I probably shoot +/- 1000 rounds a year. Mainly 270, 308, 300wm which are the rifles I would reload for. My "evil" black gun I shoot the cheap stuff and have good luck with Black Hills when I want to be a little more precise.

I'm located in Northern CA near Sacramento so if there is anyone around that wants to share local tips and tricks I'm all in.
I had four kids running around when I started setting up my reloading gear. I used an artic entry room with a desk. I started with basics ( like in the available kits of today) and added as going. It will take a short time to load better or equal factory economy rounds. Just keep primers and powders out of reach of youngsters. Just remember safety rules. I did most of my reloading after the kids bedtime, when they were very young. Start with one caliber and add as you feel confident.

Yes, I forgot YouTube in my personal answer. Lot's of good info there, and sometimes seeing something done helps with understanding.

I do still stand by my recommendation to buy those two books and read them however. You are unsure about whether you want to do this, so I recommend researching more before dropping coin on equipment...

And yes, this is an unfortunate time. Virtually every component you will need; brass, bullets, powder, primers, are nearly impossible to find.

Vettepilot
I hope you don't think my response is in any-way related to yours. In fact I hadn't read any other then the OPs.

What the heck.....p.m. me your address and I'll send you a manual, calipers, and brass if you would like. Reloading turns the casual shooter into an enthusiast and this country needs all the shooting enthusiasts we can get 👍. I unfortunately don't have extra comparitor sets but they aren't very expensive. I hope as you take this journey into hand loading, load development and the constant education and humbling moments it brings you half of the joy it's brought me over the years.
I think that I have a spare Sinclair "Nut" that KSB209 can have. I'll have a look.

Yes it did and it was a lot of fun, but its amazing what you can do with a single stage press and a beam scale
Yes it is, I still use my RCBS special press for most of my rifle ammo. I only own one scale and it is an RCBS 10/10 that I bought in the 80's. I don't feel a need to upgrade. Have a good day Bean, Red.

Yes it did and it was a lot of fun, but its amazing what you can do with a single stage press and a beam scale
Isn't that the truth. Don't go down the rabbit hole of the highest tech most expensive piece of equipment. For 90% of handloaders the basic tools that have been mentioned and close attention to detail will have you producing fantastic rounds for hunting and banging steel. In my experience (limited compared to most on here) the return on investment for the high end equipment (chargemaster station for example) is diminished unless you are loading very large batches at once. BUT if it suits you go for it. Reloading is all about what works for you and what you want and having fun.

1 - search this site on reloading procedures, tons of really good threads on recommendations from equipment, components, links, etc.
2 - write up your reloading procedures step by step no matter how innocuous the step may be. Quality reloading is all about repeatability and you cannot have it if you do not have defined WRITTEN procedures.
3 - create a 3 ring binder for each specific firearm with forms to record your reloading information so you can track the number loads on each specific lot of brass you are using plus good way to monitor barrel count.
4 - all the powder and die manufacturers have good reloading pages so good free tutorials there.
5 - reloading is serious business, no distractions, only load when you can focus solely on loading. I will bet most of us here have stories on when we didn't follow that advice. You say you have kids, young kids and loading do not mix under any circumstance.
6 - follow manuals to the T, no such thing as "I know my gun can take it" said the one hand blind guy.
7 - start off buying the best components you can upfront, we all went down that rabbit hole with lesser quality and end up buying all over again.

Examples of very generic reloading forms just to give you an idea but lots of examples on LRH as well. The example reloading steps is something I picked up many years ago as an example to share with some friends that were getting into reloading to give them an idea on how each step has to be written down. We all have different steps but this is good example to show you the level of detail you may want to start writing down to record your own steps. I am NOT saying these a good steps to follow but only as an example of some things you will want to write down. You will collect what you want once you start loading.

The real satisfaction is when you start seeing groups that you are proud of and of course that first kill with a reloaded round will bring an internal smile!

Oh yeah, the gadgets will get you every time so be aware of that plague!
MTM made a reloading loose leaf book to track all you reloading and results.
Available from Midway USA

Attachments

• MTM reloading data.pdf
    761.7 KB · Views: 122
Gee guys your getting me nervous about this.... haha.... but in all seriousness this is something o have been thinking about for years. Maybe I do have to really think about everything I have going on in my life. I totally understand the fact that I need piece a d quiet and with 3 kids running around the house maybe NOW might not be the best time to start this new hobby.

when factory ammo is available I probably shoot +/- 1000 rounds a year. Mainly 270, 308, 300wm which are the rifles I would reload for. My "evil" black gun I shoot the cheap stuff and have good luck with Black Hills when I want to be a little more precise.

I'm located in Northern CA near Sacramento so if there is anyone around that wants to share local tips and tricks I'm all in.
If I get out to visit my sister in Auburn any time soon I will contact you.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but keep a log of every loading session/round you load.
Date, Rounds before, Rounds after, powder used, amount, lot #, Mfr, same for Primers. Case sizing actions, full length, neck. bump, neck turning, chamfering, deburring, Note the case length, and if trimmed, manual used, bullet seating method and depth, anyt meausrmentgh, case gauge, etc. With everything well-doumented, you can repeat loads or spot problems. I have all this in a checklist format that I follow each time for consistency and to keep me on track. When done. I file it in a binder. As I learn more. or make changes, I update/modify the checklist.

I have a close friend back in WA in exactly your same situation. He was patient because of your same restrictions but still read about equipment and procedures etc. One day reading Craigslist he scored so monumentally I still can't believe it. Found a seller who was divesting everything because of 3 kids lined up for college and because he already knew his wishlist he bought the entire package. And pretty much got it all for half price.

BTW - if you have not already subscribed to the Long Range Monthly Shooting letter - do so now. They have started a series on reloading. Very useful and full of info.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.