Reloading 101 - info please

KSB209

I would like to get into reloading but don't have anyone to mentor me on this. What is a good place to start? Looking for books, websites, articles, etc......

my time is somewhat limited (running 2 businesses and 3 kids under 10 yrs old) so I'm wondering if this new hobby of reloading is really feasible right now. I don't have a bunch of room either but hopefully in the next 2-3 years my businesses pay off and I have more time and money to play with.

been reading a lot of you guys have excellent results reloading and I want to play with "the big boys" so reloading my own ammo seems like a good place to start.
Any help is appreciated!

Nosler/RCBS manual has been invaluable to me, as well as the instructional videos on RCBS's website.
As you have seen already, there are many different ways to skin these cats. The biggest encouragement I can make is to start simple.
Follow the book
Load the book recipes
GET INTIMATELY FAMILIAR WITH THE PROCESS before you start tweaking loads outside the book.
And if in doubt, ask questions before you drop the load. Many of us are happy to help out where we have experience.

Your first book should be, The ABC's of Reloading. Keep it simple and take your time with your research. Start with one cartridge and master it. Pistol loads and straight walled cases are far easier to load and will teach you a ton about the process.
Watch as many reputable YouTube videos you can and read, read, read. Many of us have been loading for years and learn every day. Let your kids learn and help you with the process teaching them about safety and a great hobby.
Best of luck to you.

I would like to get into reloading but don't have anyone to mentor me on this. What is a good place to start? Looking for books, websites, articles, etc......

my time is somewhat limited (running 2 businesses and 3 kids under 10 yrs old) so I'm wondering if this new hobby of reloading is really feasible right now. I don't have a bunch of room either but hopefully in the next 2-3 years my businesses pay off and I have more time and money to play with.

been reading a lot of you guys have excellent results reloading and I want to play with "the big boys" so reloading my own ammo seems like a good place to start.
Any help is appreciated!
Where are you located? You never know there may be someone within driving distance to show you the basics.

Most reloading books will give you the specs and load parameters and some even suggest what equipment to use but seeing it first hand will help more than just seeing it on paper.

I was at a point in life when I had some time-off, started to hang around a gunmaker/gunsmith shop and he was the perfect mentor, as well as becoming a good friend. I also "lived" in a couple nosler loading manual's and learned all I could from them about accuracy loads. This site has some sharp ones that can teach you a lot about reloading, hope you run into someone that can give you some tips and hands on techniques that give you a leg up so to speak. Enjoy it........... reloading can open up new doors and increased accuracy and control of your loads.

I would be careful about the youtube on the how. There are some videos out there that give questionable advice.

Invest in a couple of reloading manuals. I don't have the current versions but I found Lyman and Hornady to meet my needs the best on the how and why.
Really? I have not seen any as you have mentioned that I would consider dangerous. maybe some that may take a different approach to a specific step of the process.

Really? I have not seen any as you have mentioned that I would consider dangerous. maybe some that may take a different approach to a specific step of the process.
I've never seen anything dangerous but I have seen some stupid stuff, but there is a lot to learn on you tube if you do your home work, Just startt simple and don't get caught up in all the "Hype " to start with

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.