Reloading 101 - info please

Gee guys your getting me nervous about this.... haha.... but in all seriousness this is something o have been thinking about for years. Maybe I do have to really think about everything I have going on in my life. I totally understand the fact that I need piece a d quiet and with 3 kids running around the house maybe NOW might not be the best time to start this new hobby.

when factory ammo is available I probably shoot +/- 1000 rounds a year. Mainly 270, 308, 300wm which are the rifles I would reload for. My "evil" black gun I shoot the cheap stuff and have good luck with Black Hills when I want to be a little more precise.

I'm located in Northern CA near Sacramento so if there is anyone around that wants to share local tips and tricks I'm all in.

PRecisoni relaoding takes time, attention to detail, and means a lot of ancilary items beside a press and scale. I fyou do nto hav ethe time and money to start from scratch, your time leaning about it all is probably a beter approach.

Don't be overly intimidated. You can't absorb all the intricacies of this hobby at once. Set reasonable expectations and start slowly. Read a few books and watch some recommended YouTube videos. Research equipment and talk to other hand loaders before diving in. This is an excellent forum to gather information. Shooting a thousand rounds a year is very respectable and worthwhile to hand load for; if you are looking for another hobby. Choose one caliber you like to shoot at the range and concentrate on it (308 would be an excellent place to start). Learn as much as you can with that gun/caliber before moving on to another. The second one will seem easier. Don't try to do it all at once.
Forget the idea that hand loading will save money. It is a hobby unto it's self. But it builds a connection between you and the gun.

It's late and I haven't read all posts but if it hasn't been mentioned keep your components( if you can find any) in a locked p!ace away from your little ones. Primers and powder are both inviting and dangerous to curious little minds.

I bought a kit and worked with what I had. I learned alot watching YouTube videos on each step. You can filter through the bs videos with a little common sense. While I am a follower of the buy once cry once... Just remember what you are after.... I upgraded my calipers and bought a charge master after I had it down. Before and after I have and still have the ability to put loads together that shoot 1/2 MOA or better with ease for my hunting rifles. Consistency is the name of the game. It's really not hard. Buy all the bell and whistles but if your not shooting F class comps you'll be fine with a kit to start IMO. Good luck, don't over think it.

When I started reloading I followed the advice of reading reloading manuals cover to cover and agree with that premise plus books plus you tube etc. What I wish I would have done differently is when purchasing the first manual I wish I would have bought a quality set of calipers and a shoulder and bullet ogive comparitor set. I recently advised a co worker who was wanting to get into reloading the following:
1. Purchase manual, calipers and comparitor sets
2. Take 25 pieces of fired factory brass and clean them with 0000 steel wool to get carbon off
3. Take above 25 pieces fired clean brass and 20 factory rounds and number the fired cases 1-25 and the factory ammo 1-20 in sharpie on the cases themselves
4. Grab a notebook and make two columns per page with numbers corresponding to the numbers on the brass.
5. Each time you read a portion of the manual, watch a YouTube video etc. Take the time to measure the base to shoulder numbers on the fired cases and base to ogive of bullet on the factory rounds. Always start with a blank page so you are not looking at the last numbers you got while measuring to avoid subconsciously adjusting pressure on caliper to match the measurement you got the time before.
6. Compare the different pages to begin to see a pattern of consistency as you become more comfortable with the tools.

If in your pre equipment procurement research and education time you become at least semi proficient in measuring what you need to measure for die setup, consistency monitoring etc. When you screw that sizing die into the press for the first time you will be world's ahead of my first sizing of brass

What the heck.....p.m. me your address and I'll send you a manual, calipers, and brass if you would like. Reloading turns the casual shooter into an enthusiast and this country needs all the shooting enthusiasts we can get 👍. I unfortunately don't have extra comparitor sets but they aren't very expensive. I hope as you take this journey into hand loading, load development and the constant education and humbling moments it brings you half of the joy it's brought me over the years.

Gee guys your getting me nervous about this.... haha.... but in all seriousness this is something o have been thinking about for years.

If I can learn it, anyone can. The overwhelming response you got is because we're all like pushers trying to hook a new junkie. Its the enthusiasm for the process that you need to take away from this. 308 is a very forgiving round. I can't speak to the others. Fed LR match primers, bout 42.5 gr Varget and a 168 Sierra is tried and true.
You will get 10 different suggestions from any 10 of us as far as gear goes. Start small. I no longer use my tumbler nor the sonic cleaner. I use 000 steel wool with my brass in my drill. But I rarely load more than 50 rounds at a time anymore.
Good luck!

@KSB209

As previously stated, LOTS of good advice thus far. Speaking of 'Lots' (pun intended) when you start buying your components (bullets, brass, powder, primers) buy as much as you can afford with the same LOT NUMBER so as to maintain consistency in your load development. Slight variations within components can be a little aggravating from time to time. If this suggestion has already been mentioned I apologize.....I'm still trying to caffeine away the 'Tylenol PM hangover' this morning. 😂🤣 Cheers!

Keep it simple buy what you need for one caliber get that one done and decide if this is for you
Keep it simple is great advice. We all have gone from basics to advanced to, well, back to basic in our search for accuracy. Some things matter and some are great for online debates :) All great advice here. Videos are my favorite way to learn cause this monkey needs to see to learn.

Keep it simple is great advice. We all have gone from basics to advanced to, well, back to basic in our search for accuracy. Some things matter and some are great for online debates :) All great advice here. Videos are my favorite way to learn cause this monkey needs to see to learn.
Well said, I'm almost exactly where I started, I sure wish I had all that money back

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.