Reloaders Nest did they make a big mistake?

Iron Worker

Sierra load book post 36 grs of Viht 140 as max for a 55gr bullet in a 22-250AI. Reloaders nestallowed a poster to post 48grs of Viht behind a 52 gr bullet. That is a suicide loads .How could they allow that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm not real educated on that powder but I think that getting 48grs of anything in a 22-250 case would be pretty hard and when you noticed that some powder spilled out because it woulden't fit you "should" have a thought that it could have been a missprint !!!
thats whyits always best to use the manufactures listed loads and work up.

The poster posted a MV of well over 4,000 FPS. I went out an bought a 2lb can of Vith 140.Didn't pay too much attention to powder details till it was time to decide on a starting load. 48GRAINS NO WAY.I checked Sierra and man they were 12 grains lower.So I said forget it this can't be right! So I returned the Viht 140 and bought IMR 4064 a powder I've used all along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I agree with JDJones comments.

My 22/250AI only holds about 45 grains to the base of the neck when using a short cut extruded powder like N140. The load of 48 grains would be at least level with the top of the neck, and more likely spill over the top.

In the 22/250AI (and other improved cases) if you begin with near maximum loads for the parent case (22/250) and work up to maximum from there you will always be safe. Good luck.Brian.

I take all loads listed anywhere with a grain of salt. Kind of like a reference that has not been verified.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.