Made a mistake

texas270

Realize that I accidentally loaded a batch of cartridges with an extra gr of powder, which would make the cartridges hotter than I am be comfortable with. These are second genertion cases that I have carefully preped so I'm hopeful for advice as to whether it is appropriate to extract the bullets, reload and use them??? If I do so, do I need to resize the necks again? Will the bullets be ruined for prime accuracy by extracting? Thanks in advance!

What cartridge are you shooting? What's the actual load you have loaded in the shells right now and what bullet are you shooting? Why are you not comfortable shooting one grain more? (I would expect it's because you're playing on the line of safe pressures with the load you have) How many rounds did you load up with the wrong powder charge?

I pull loads apart and use the components over again frequently. Guess I'm cheap, but I throw nothing away if I can avoid it. You may find that the case neck tension is slightly less; if so, yes, re-size (neck only) again. If your "one grain over" is within safe limits, there is no need to tear them apart - but that is your call.

in response, it is a 270 win loaded with 140 gr accubonds. you are correct that it is on the line.

59 gr vs 58 gr which is a lot for the 270 case.

That is a lot of powder for a 140 grain bullet out of a 270 Win. If you've seen no pressure signs at your 58 grain load then you might be okay to try a few shots with the 59 grain load and see what happens. However you already mentioned you don't feel comfortable with that idea so do what kcebcj said and don't screw around just pull the bullets and worst case scenario use them on varmints.

As Gene said earlier you can pull them apart and use components again no problem, unless you're going to be shooting benchrest matches I don't think you'll see a difference. The inertia style pullers have never really skuffed up my bullets and I noticed no practical change in accuracy with my 270 when reloading bullets I had pulled from previous loads. However the inertia style pullers to me are a pain to use and I bought one of the collet style ones that go in your press and they are a piece of cake to use but if you're not careful they will scar up your bullet by putting a light ring around where the collet gripped it. Again I've never noticed a difference in accuracy (even with the scarred bullets) but I wasn't shooting targets at extreme ranges (500+) either.

As Gene also mentioned just necksize the cases again and you should be just fine to use them. I'm sure the real long range target shooters on here would say it's a lost cause for optimal extreme long range shooting but I'm assuming with a 270 you'd be hunting and to maybe 600 yards and for that you should have no problems at all.

Last edited:
If you only shoot accurate loads, then pull them apart. Stick with what you are comfortable with and is good for you. One grain could mean up to 60fps faster and it could impact on the standard deviation of the load. It is better than to regret it on the hunt. You would always blame yourself for not pulling them apart.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I will use my intertia puller and enjoy the experiment of testing how the reused componenets (with new neck sizing) perform....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.