Reloader 26 temp sensitivity

I will have to agree with you on the speed with this powder it sure is a speed demon!!! I have been pretty lucky with this powder in regards to finding accuracy with it too. I feel I can run it in all of my rifles from my 6mm AI to 338 Edge. The only reason I have not tried it in my 300 Dakota or edge is the fact I have a good load with other powders already. There is no doubt I could find a load for them also.

Yes sir. For heavy per caliber loads, 40 to 80 grains, it's hard to beat...

I really wish my results for R-26 had been as promising. My cartridge is the .270-7mm Rem Mag. My load was Fed. 215 primer, 65 grs R-26, 170gr. Berger EOL. This is a moderate load with a very wide node. I was really looking forward to using it this season. Unfortunately, upon putting the rifle and ammo in the deep freeze over night (-8F to -12F), three rounds averaged a ΔV/T of over 8fps/°F. I was so astounded, I repeated the entire experiment two more times. The initial results were verified except that in the third trial, there was a fail-to-fire.
John

I saw your post on that in the other thread for the big 270's. Its really weird that you are getting those results. Have you done that same test with other powders in that rifle?

Yes, my backup load was: 72grs. Retumbo, 170gr. Berger EOL, and Fed 215 primer. It yielded a ΔV/T of a little less than 0.2fps/°F. Indeed, I only completed two trials of three rounds but that was enough to satisfy me. The load is not as accurate as the R-26 load and the node is not as wide but it is 150 fps faster. It has been recommended that I try a Rem 9.5 Mag primer, or more neck tension with the R-26. If I have time, I certainly will.
John

Last edited:
I really wish my results for R-26 had been as promising. My cartridge is the .270-7mm Rem Mag. My load was Fed. 215 primer, 65 grs R-26, 170gr. Berger EOL. This is a moderate load with a very wide node. I was really looking forward to using it this season. Unfortunately, upon putting the rifle and ammo in the deep freeze over night (-8F to -12F), three rounds averaged a ΔV/T of over 8fps/°F. I was so astounded, I repeated the entire experiment two more times. The initial results were verified except that in the third trial, there was a fail-to-fire.
John

Maybe this is a light load and may be causing some of your results?...I found an accuracy node @ 3225fps in my 270 Wby/170 Berger with 72grs of RL26.

What is your ave velocity with this load?

Anyways...I'll load up some tonight and put some in the freezer...

Check out my post in the 270/300 win mag thread...

Interesting comment on the cold weather failure to fire using RL26. A couple years ago I had a failure to fire and hang fires at the range in 17 deg F weather. I blamed it on the Selier and Bellot LRM magnum primers I was using in 300WM loads. I was using also shooting a mix of H1000 loads and Rl26 loads with CCI primers that day. Only had problems with the RL26 and S&B primer combination.
With the comments from Buckammo, I'm thinking at a minimum RL26 gets finicky about ignition in cold conditions.

Interesting comment on the cold weather failure to fire using RL26. A couple years ago I had a failure to fire and hang fires at the range in 17 deg F weather. I blamed it on the Selier and Bellot LRM magnum primers I was using in 300WM loads. I was using also shooting a mix of H1000 loads and Rl26 loads with CCI primers that day. Only had problems with the RL26 and S&B primer combination.
With the comments from Buckammo, I'm thinking at a minimum RL26 gets finicky about ignition in cold conditions.

I also had issues with the S&B LRM primers igniting MagPro (ball powder)...I would have hang fires and failure to ignite all the time. They had no problems igniting stick powder...

I shot RL-26 today...

I put the cartridges in the freezer @ -2...

Threw the cartridges in the ice chest to go out and shoot...

Never let the cartridges stay in the chamber for more than 5 seconds...

The room temp cartridges ran at 3225 fps... the frozen rounds ran at 3200fps...

Is this any help?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.