REVERSE TEMP SENSITIVITY????

All powder react differently with changes to the pressure curve. Some will increase in burn rate with more resistency while others burn rate may not change much at all.
See that makes sense too. Superformance was the most pronounced for this effect and it is most certainly a progressive burn rate powder. Interesting.

A progressive burn rate flattened ball powder with temp stabilizers in cold weather….yup this could all combine to add up to a spike.

See that makes sense too. Superformance was the most pronounced for this effect and it is most certainly a progressive burn rate powder. Interesting.

A progressive burn rate flattened ball powder with temp stabilizers in cold weather….yup this could all combine to add up to a spike.
Yes, there are many factors that on their own may not even be observable but together add up to significant changes in pressure. For the most part, with my larger wildcats i market to customers, i dont recommend shooting them much below zero and i also rarely recommend loading them to red line in pressure. I like to be well off max pressures when shooting in the 40-50 degree range. Not mild loads by any means, just comfortable top end loads, then if temps rise, there us a safety cushion, if used in cold temps, again, safety cushion. Main reason its never a good idea to take a small cartridge, run it to red line to get performance of a larger cased round…. My opinion anyway. Something to be said for efficiency but also much to be said for using the proper engine size to get the work done comfortably..

Yes, there are many factors that on their own may not even be observable but together add up to significant changes in pressure. For the most part, with my larger wildcats i market to customers, i dont recommend shooting them much below zero and i also rarely recommend loading them to red line in pressure. I like to be well off max pressures when shooting in the 40-50 degree range. Not mild loads by any means, just comfortable top end loads, then if temps rise, there us a safety cushion, if used in cold temps, again, safety cushion. Main reason its never a good idea to take a small cartridge, run it to red line to get performance of a larger cased round…. My opinion anyway. Something to be said for efficiency but also much to be said for using the proper engine size to get the work done comfortably..
Well and this was a redline load for
Sure to begin with. Getting a hbn treated 120 Barnes tac tx to 4060 fps in summer temps out of a .300 win mag. 26 inch. Peterson brass, 89.5 grains superformance (went up to 92 during load development, it's a dense powder).

The 8133 load was opposite end of
The spectrum. Hbn treated 225 eld m
At 2800

I never shoot in real cold. I shoot and hunt in summer heat.
With this, I only develop loads in the summer. If I needed a cold load I'd develop that (somewhere cold).

But heat changes still make a difference from 50 to 100deg, and I see that much.
To mange this, I learned while young and have done it ever since, to carry my ammo in my front pants pockets.
My guns are either single shot or converted to and shot as single shot. And even during load development I pull each shot from a pants pocket.
Instead of trying to cool ammo, as people have tried to innovate, I regulate it to near body temperature.
So I guess you're welcome to assume that I'm AmmoSexual,, Pronoun: CAL

Mikec, I do similar! However, I may shoot it temps ranging from 100 or so to a -20F…..all of my load development is done at 90+ F!

Like yourself, I don't want any high temperature pressure spikes! memtb

No plans to go shooting today but would have been a good tester of this theory haha. Thankful for my beard. Walked my boys to school today (they were snug as a bug, I pulled them in a wagon with a ton of blankets). I looked like a young Santa when I got back home and couldn't feel my legs as I misplaced my ski pants and had to leave in a hurry. Blue jeans in -40 aren't enough! 🤣

1670353552415.jpeg
With the windchill it's -42celcius still at 1 in the afternoon haha. Fahrenheit and celcius meet up somewhere around there