Reloader 26 in 6.5 creedmoor

How about I put up some teaser pics. I will be able to tell you the volume difference as well. As far as free bore goes it's so hard to measure exactly but I can get you a number close enough. Coal shouldn't be a problem. I will post some stuff on this thread but feels like hijacking. But is is a Creed and rl26. It just a creedmoooor more or less. Definitely not less.
Shep

I'll post all the info in the new thread when I have all the final load data. It will be between a 260ai and the Creed in performance but you can use Creed dies and have the longer neck. I think it will be the right size to get the 3000 fps and not be over pressure. Will it be better than either. Probably not. But what does a retired gunsmith do when it's too cold to fish.
Shep
I see what you are saying and it makes sense. After you do the "Super Creed" mod I assume you can no longer shoot factory Creedmoor ammo, is that correct?
I also see the velocities that you get with the 147ELDM in a 29" and again that seems reasonable. I have to wonder about some reports of velocities that I see with 24-26" barrels that seem quite high, many times within 100fps or less than 6.5 PRC. I do wonder if this round (Creed) is loaded by many at too high pressures much like many in the past did with AI rounds? Or to put it another way, either the 6.5PRC is not being loaded at the same pressures or if the spread is only 100fps difference between the 2, then I see no need in the PRC.

When I built my 6.5 saum I got 200fps faster than my Creed hunting rifle. 2930vs 3130. To be fair my saum is not broken in all the way to the barrel speeding up.
Shep

The pic shows a Creed and a Super Creed and a 260ai. The super Creed holds 3 grains more than the Creed and 2 less than the 260ai. But the Super Creed has the long neck of the Creed. The coal is 3.130 and that's with a 147 seated with the bearing surface almost to the junction Will 3 grains more be enough to get the 147 over 3000 with rl26 in a 24 inch barrel? I will find out.
Basically the Super Creed is just a .100 longer Creed. All the body taper and shoulder angle and neck are the same. The back of the chamber is going to be about .002 bigger so the capacity will go up slightly on fire formed cases. Fun project. If I don't like it I can just punch in a 6.5-284 reamer and no harm no foul.
That's an aluminum long action Tikka magazine.
Shep

Attachments

• 20201213_111253.jpg
    20201213_111253.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • 16078768715895789686443524630992.jpg
    16078768715895789686443524630992.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Guys remember I didn't come up with this mod. I'm just moving the shoulder back some to get the longer neck like the reamer has.
Shep

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. After you do the "Super Creed" mod I assume you can no longer shoot factory Creedmoor ammo, is that correct?
I also see the velocities that you get with the 147ELDM in a 29" and again that seems reasonable. I have to wonder about some reports of velocities that I see with 24-26" barrels that seem quite high, many times within 100fps or less than 6.5 PRC. I do wonder if this round (Creed) is loaded by many at too high pressures much like many in the past did with AI rounds? Or to put it another way, either the 6.5PRC is not being loaded at the same pressures or if the spread is only 100fps difference between the 2, then I see no need in the PRC.
This is the case with many, many loaders and cartridges. If a precise pressure testing tool was as available and affordable as say, a magneto speed, cartridge performance as we know it today would be much, much different. When apples are compared to apples in terms of pressure, there isn't much replacement for displacement. You can tweak cartridge design to be a little more efficient, however cartridges that are generally considered to be "more efficient" are also usually of a design that tends to hide pressure better (less body taper, steeper shoulder angles) so they may not be as efficient in terms of better utilizing their volume, but instead they are actually more efficient at not showing pressure signs, which, for all intents and purposes, is accomplishing the same thing. So better case design, in conjunction with tougher brass, I believe makes things deceiving. Run a 6.5 creed at 70k, and run a 6.5 prc at 70k, and they won't be so close as some circumstances show. But similar can be said if you ran a 6.5 creed at 70k, then ran a 6.5x55 at 70k, they would not be that close. However, 70k in a 6.5x55 would likely show some pretty stout pressure signs, where you may not notice much in the creed.

This is the case with many, many loaders and cartridges. If a precise pressure testing tool was as available and affordable as say, a magneto speed, cartridge performance as we know it today would be much, much different. When apples are compared to apples in terms of pressure, there isn't much replacement for displacement. You can tweak cartridge design to be a little more efficient, however cartridges that are generally considered to be "more efficient" are also usually of a design that tends to hide pressure better (less body taper, steeper shoulder angles) so they may not be as efficient in terms of better utilizing their volume, but instead they are actually more efficient at not showing pressure signs, which, for all intents and purposes, is accomplishing the same thing. So better case design, in conjunction with tougher brass, I believe makes things deceiving. Run a 6.5 creed at 70k, and run a 6.5 prc at 70k, and they won't be so close as some circumstances show. But similar can be said if you ran a 6.5 creed at 70k, then ran a 6.5x55 at 70k, they would not be that close. However, 70k in a 6.5x55 would likely show some pretty stout pressure signs, where you may not notice much in the creed.
One of my retirement goals is to buy a pressure trace setup. I have a friend in the bullet industry and I was surprised to hear that a lot of the data out there is not actual pressure tested data. For example the Berger data with R26 is quickload based. According to my friend powder manufacturers data is largely pressure tested but not so for bullet companies.

One of my retirement goals is to buy a pressure trace setup. I have a friend in the bullet industry and I was surprised to hear that a lot of the data out there is not actual pressure tested data. For example the Berger data with R26 is quickload based. According to my friend powder manufacturers data is largely pressure tested but not so for bullet companies.
Even these though, from my understanding, have limited accuracy. From what I understand, you use factory ammunition to get a "base line" for the pressure, then shoot other loads and compare....this is similar to looking at the velocity on the box of ammo and using that for your drop charts. So many things come in to play, that there is no way it can be reliable. There are other things the pressure trace does as well, such as pressure curves and stuff, but I mean in terms of simply reading max pressure. If your simply using factory ammo to get a base line, that is just comparing your other loads to factory ammo, it isn't giving you the exact pressure of your load. Some factory loads I have shot have nearly blown primers, factory Berger 6.5 cm ammo out of a ruger I was working on for instance, and I recall one 30-06 that, with 165 factory federal ammo out of a howa, was essentially duplicating 30-30 performance. If you don't know the numbers of what your comparing against, you essentially don't have solid values.

Again, there are other very valuable data points you get from the pressure trace system, however, unless something has changed or I misunderstood, I don't think you can just install it on your gun, fire a round and have it read "58,887 psi" for instance....please correct me if I am misunderstanding

Or you just use common sense high pressure indicators that as reloaders should be some of the first things you learn. Things like round primer edges., Hard bolt lift, ejector swipes, creators and how many shots you get before primers are not tight. I don't care what the pressure is of my rounds if none of the high pressure signs are there.
Shep

PressureTrace will generate PSI estimates without calibrating the system to a factory load! Copied from their website.

This is awesome can't believe the velocities you guy are getting!! Just picked up tikka 6.5 and 143 eldxs. Anybody have a pet loads that works with the 143 Eldx and are you guys useing magnum primers with all that powder?
LoL yeah with the magical reloader 26 pixie dust your 6.5 creedmoor can gain 500 FPS in a 20" barrel. It is faster than a 264 win Mag and better yet it can match the all new 26 Nosler that needs a 26" barrel to achieve those same velocities. LoL!!! Sorry couldn't help myself.

It may not be pixie dust but the burn rate and pressure curve will get more velocity than H4350. Berger shows 2977 with a 24" and their 135 classic.

Recent Posts