Reloader 26 in 6.5 creedmoor

This is awesome can't believe the velocities you guy are getting!! Just picked up tikka 6.5 and 143 eldxs. Anybody have a pet loads that works with the 143 Eldx and are you guys useing magnum primers with all that powder?

This is awesome can't believe the velocities you guy are getting!! Just picked up tikka 6.5 and 143 eldxs. Anybody have a pet loads that works with the 143 Eldx and are you guys useing magnum primers with all that powder?
You don't need large rifle mag primers in the creedmoor. Maybe small rifle mag primers for SRP brass.

With 143s between 48 and 49 gr of rl26. I always try several primers to see what it likes. I always start with cci450 in the lapua srp brass.
Shep

I'm running lapua SRP brass, 48gr has me at 2900fps from a Tikka 24" bbl w/ 143s. The Tikka has LONG freebore compared to saami so you can seat the bullet out a long ways. My rifle shoots 156 bergers @ 2780fps very accurately with 47.2 gr rl26. Which is about a half grain below ejector marks. My rifle is different than yours so always start low and work up.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor with a 26" barrel. Been reading about the high velocities achieved with reloader 26. Claims as high as 3000 fps with 140s.
I'm like to hear more success stories and what your data is for it.
I'm also wondering how temp stable reloader 26 is?
Sorry I heard it's tempstable go on alliant web site , I was going to say h4350 in my creedmoor is kick *** with. Hornady 143 eldx

Sorry I heard it's tempstable go on alliant web site , I was going to say h4350 in my creedmoor is kick *** with. Hornady 143 eldx
I think most of us have been right under 3000 or just over 3000. I haven't seen any issue with RL26 and temp stability, I also haven't shot my load in the dead of summer. If you look back through this thread you'll see a lot of load info posted for RL26. Make sure to work up so you don't blow up lol.

I only shoot the 147eldm in my 6.5creeds. in my 29 inch match barrels I can get to 2975fps. That's the highest node I can reach. It's hard on brass in the summer at that speed. I run my match guns on h4350 at 2850fps now and it's better for me. My match guns have long free bore and bore rider throats I can do a little more with them. If you want the best Creed do a Tikka and use the long bolt stop and the long magbox. Then give it the proper free bore for the bullet you want to shoot. Even the 147s will fit that magazine seated real long. I run the boat tails junction up in the neck a little. This gives you room for full powder charges of rl26 and every 24 inch barrel I've built has easily done over 2900 fps with zero pressure signs.
I'm playing with the super Creed mods to see if I can get the little guy over 3000 fps and have brass life. I'm pretty sure it will.
Super Creed is just a deeper Creed chamber and then run 260 brass in it. When the 260 brass fire forms in the Creed chamber it now has the straighter sides and the 30 degree shoulder and will hold more powder than both. It still uses your original Creed dies just set up higher in the press. I'm doing mine by running a 260 brass in the die and pushing the top of the shoulder back a little to give it the same neck length as the Creed and then just fire form them.. Since they headspace on the new shoulder I started fire forming is simple. This mod works great for the Tikkas because you can still fit a long magazine with the longer brass. In a regular short action I don't think there is much to gain because of length restrictions. Of course in my single shot match guns they will be no problem. I don't have all the data done yet. But will start a new thread when I do. I'm just going to call it the Super Creed for now.
This is not my ideal but I am doing it different so that I can keep the same neck length. Someone ran the reamer so that the regular 260 fit and then fire formed it from there. But basically that just gives you an almost 260ai. And the neck is way too short for the Creed reamer. I know the 147s are going to be over 3000 with rl26 and 24 inch barrel. Fun stuff.
Shep

By the way I have seen many creeds get over 3000 in stock form but I like my brass to last 10 to 12 shots. If your brass last 2 shots and primers are falling out then your way over pressure. I don't run any of my rifles this way. I see these speeds doing a ladder test for one or 2 shots at the max pressure but by the time you back down into the node you are good. Premium brass is costly so I make it last.
Shep

This is awesome can't believe the velocities you guy are getting!! Just picked up tikka 6.5 and 143 eldxs. Anybody have a pet loads that works with the 143 Eldx and are you guys useing magnum primers with all that powder

Slightly different weights but will get you in the ballpark. Here are my velocities I was getting with 140 eldms and rl26 in a 24" factory Tikka superlite. I believe you can seat the bullet out longer than that a little more if needed, was getting pretty compressed at 48.7 gr. More velocity could probably be gained with Hornady brass since it has a little more capacity over Lapua. I ended up achieving better accuracy but less velocity(2750) with H4350 w/ 140 eldms. Good bullets, but I switched to Hammers for terminal performance.

Attachments

• 20201204_204915.jpg
    20201204_204915.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 88
I only shoot the 147eldm in my 6.5creeds. in my 29 inch match barrels I can get to 2975fps. That's the highest node I can reach. It's hard on brass in the summer at that speed. I run my match guns on h4350 at 2850fps now and it's better for me. My match guns have long free bore and bore rider throats I can do a little more with them. If you want the best Creed do a Tikka and use the long bolt stop and the long magbox. Then give it the proper free bore for the bullet you want to shoot. Even the 147s will fit that magazine seated real long. I run the boat tails junction up in the neck a little. This gives you room for full powder charges of rl26 and every 24 inch barrel I've built has easily done over 2900 fps with zero pressure signs.
I'm playing with the super Creed mods to see if I can get the little guy over 3000 fps and have brass life. I'm pretty sure it will.
Super Creed is just a deeper Creed chamber and then run 260 brass in it. When the 260 brass fire forms in the Creed chamber it now has the straighter sides and the 30 degree shoulder and will hold more powder than both. It still uses your original Creed dies just set up higher in the press. I'm doing mine by running a 260 brass in the die and pushing the top of the shoulder back a little to give it the same neck length as the Creed and then just fire form them.. Since they headspace on the new shoulder I started fire forming is simple. This mod works great for the Tikkas because you can still fit a long magazine with the longer brass. In a regular short action I don't think there is much to gain because of length restrictions. Of course in my single shot match guns they will be no problem. I don't have all the data done yet. But will start a new thread when I do. I'm just going to call it the Super Creed for now.
This is not my ideal but I am doing it different so that I can keep the same neck length. Someone ran the reamer so that the regular 260 fit and then fire formed it from there. But basically that just gives you an almost 260ai. And the neck is way too short for the Creed reamer. I know the 147s are going to be over 3000 with rl26 and 24 inch barrel. Fun stuff.
Shep
Amazing.

What COAL are you running in the super Creed setup, and what is few freebore set to?

I'll post all the info in the new thread when I have all the final load data. It will be between a 260ai and the Creed in performance but you can use Creed dies and have the longer neck. I think it will be the right size to get the 3000 fps and not be over pressure. Will it be better than either. Probably not. But what does a retired gunsmith do when it's too cold to fish.
Shep

Recent Posts