Release agent for glass bedding??

Kiwi. Paste wax, too. Those cracks and holes? I fill them with the wax and for clean up, I take a hot air gun for shrink tubing and melt I it out. And if I don't get all, it's not a big deal. If it's critical that it comes out, or off, Brakleen seems to do the trick.

Tried many different things, blue gel, PAM, WD40, Johnson, Kiwi, Imperial wax, Case lube and a bunch of others. Most of the liquid ones don't dry and don't leave a thin smooth finish.

What a guy wants is a release agent that goes on very thin, perfectly smooth and easy to apply. After years of trial I have found that any Carnuba based paste wax is the best solution and best if it does not contain silicone of Teflon. Apply a coat, buff to a shine after drying, apply a second coat and do the same. I have never worried about degreasing the barrel or action. I use modeling clay to fill any voids.

The Carnuba wax provides a perfectly smooth and even shiny finish in the Devcon bedding, releases very easily. One thing when bedding, you are better to leave the bedding at least 24 hours before popping the action out as it gives a much smoother finish and releases far better. Many guys pop them out too soon because they are worried about the action sticking in the stock.

I use Johnson's paste wax or Hornady One Shot case lube. Both have been great.
IF I had to choose between the two, I would choose Johnson's. I feel that I get a little better release with the Johnson's over the One Shot but clean up is easier with the One Shot.

Kiwi Neutral has worked for years, don't want to change. Helped a friend who used the brownells kit and wasn't impressed with the release agent.

i used a brownells kit on the first rifle i ever bedded and it was a pain to get it apart. i probably didnt apply enough release agent, but that's what got me started looking for other products to use.

I have tried them all and found that Past wax works best "BUT" you must use a wax that hardens. Of all the wax that is available, I use Birchwood Casey Stock wax. This wax is easy to apply with your fingers, dries in 1 hour and can be wiped off to form a thin smooth surface that will release well.

When I use this wax, I make sure that I coat every place that the bedding will/might see and then apply it to the rest of the action to prevent the compound from sticking to an area that I don't want it to,
to aid in clean up.

When bedding is complete The wax can be easily removed with any solvent and then a coat of oil is used. I also use Lacquer Thinner to clean the action and the stock before applying the wax to the action, being careful not to touch ether stock or the action with any contaminates that would prevent the wax from adhering to the action. and the bedding compound from bonding to the stock.

I also recommend using the wax on the action screws to prevent them from sticking.

Irregardless of the Type of release agent used, proper prep of all surfaces is a must and this is not a place to get in a hurry.

Just what I use

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate it. The prep time is something I do not enjoy and that was one reason to look for a spray on that would work great.

From the looks of it If I would have had a poll, Kiwi would have won so far with a wax coming in as second.

Very good info here. keep it coming. If anything maybe this thread will help somebody get started with glass beading.

Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate it. The prep time is something I do not enjoy and that was one reason to look for a spray on that would work great.

From the looks of it If I would have had a poll, Kiwi would have won so far with a wax coming in as second.

Very good info here. keep it coming. If anything maybe this thread will help somebody get started with glass beading.

The only problem I had with shoe polish was the non hardening requirements for shoes that Made it more susceptible to being displaced when applying the bedding compound. I had to be real careful when inserting the barreled action into the bedding. NOTE
It was going away better than the film release agents supplied about not slipping. The only reason I switched to stock wax is because of the hardening feature that eliminated one more possible problem.

If everything goes well. any good wax will work better than the film type release. I also tried the sprays, and found them not dependable in there coverage. To be predictable, I even use one type of bedding compound as long as it is available for the same. I have bedded hundreds of different actions and each has their on rules, so a good dependable bedding and release agent only helps to deal with other issues that present themselves.

Using my fingers, I can push wax in any crease or pin/screw hole with confidence knowing that it is protected from bonding of the bedding compound. It may be slower, but this stage is not a good place to try and save time. If it sticks, you will spend a lot more time trying to get the action out of the stock and may end up placing it in the freezer over night to get it out, and if bedding gets in the wrong place and mechanically locks the action to the stock, you may lose the stock.

J E CUSTOM

I found the blue gel only goes on evenly with a super clean and degreased action etc. Then it seems to work fine. Wax is good, used it a lot, and fills in holes, cervices etc nicely. I do like the one shot lube as well. If the action is clean the one shot and gel work. If not, they tend to pool. Lately I have used wax and one shot together and have some really nice finished bedding jobs.

I have used the paste wax with good results but the Acra-Release Aerosol from Brownells is my go to for 95% of bedding work. Has never let me down, smooth finish with Devcon. Sprays as a thin layer gets in all the cracks and crevices. Can spray over modeling clay used for plugs, tape, etc.. I have also used 1700L spray release but don't like it quite as well though it does do the job.

Good day Lady's and Gentleman.

I have a question on release agents for glass bedding. I am looking for ideas since I do not care for the products I have used in the past. They worked but seem to be a pain to apply but did not release as good as I thought they should.. Lets get a discussion going on what you like and what you do not like. What have you all found that works the best? I know some of this stuff is based on personal experience based on how the product was used.

I have in the past used is the blue gel from Brownells that comes with there kit and kiwi neutral boot polish.

The blue gel that comes in the kit for me has worked better then kiwi boot polish. The thing I do not like about the blue gel is it takes time to coat it evenly and is hard for me to coat evenly. (there might be a trick I am missing) also it never seems to dry even after letting it sit for hours and when I go to put the second coat on it the first coat peals. I put it on as thin as I can.

The kiwi boot polish was a lot easier to apply BUT for me it did not release near as good as the blue gel that came in the kit. I even used it bedding scope bases and had trouble getting it to release of the action. again maybe its me.. LOL

Maybe you all have some pointers? But I would rather stay away from the two products mentioned above. I also cant help but feel theirs better ways to do it. With that said. The kiwi boot polish was very nice to work with. as in put on and clean up after the job was done. I just did not like the way it released.

Products I am looking at trying are. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...aerosol-sku081028000-1045-3808.aspx?rrec=true

And also maybe a mold release like this stuff. There are different options on this page.https://www.grainger.com/category/l..._-Categories_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLACAT

Thanks for all that post on this subject.

David
Best stuff i have found that will last you and you kids and grandkids life times worth of bedding stocks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DIWIM/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.